Cora Z7 - Upgrading Linux Project to Newer Vivado Version

Zhanneta

Question

Hello,

I am trying to upgrade the base linux project (https://github.com/Digilent/Cora-Z7-07S-base-linux/) provided by Digilent to Vivado 2018.3 and I am having some issues.

I followed the following steps:

1. Download and install Xilinx Vivado 2018.3
    2. Install Digilent Board Files
        a. Download the archive of the vivado-boards Github repository and extract it wherever desired.
        b. Copy the contents of the folder called "new\board_files" to the board_files folder in the Vivado Installation directory (C:\Xilinx\Vivado\XXXX.X\data\boards\board_files)
    3. Create base linux project in Vivado
        a. Download the archive of the Cora-Z7-07S-base-linux Github repository and extract it wherever desired.
        b. Edit code for Vivado 2018.3 (originally set up for Vivado 2016.4)
            i. Edit Vivado version in system_bd.tcl and system.hwh in src\bd\system\hw_handoff to say 2018.3
        c. Open Vivado Tcl Shell and run command "source create_project.tcl" in directory "proj"
            i. Once project was loaded in Vivado, upgrade the ip cores by going to Reports->Report IP Status and upgrade all ip cores.

image.thumb.png.d1497f31024e9d9181542426d94bbf75.png

I wasn't able to get pass the last step as 1 of the IP cores is not able to update. For pwm_rgb, it says that "IP definition is not found".

Do you have any suggestions for tackling this issue?

5 answers to this question

Hi @Zhanneta,

This project was made in and for Vivado 2017.4. The easiest way to upgrade the Cora-Z7 project to Vivado 2018.3 is as follows:

1) Open the project in Vivado 2017.4. Make sure that your project has the vivado library installed in the repo folder.

2) Close the project and Vivado 2017.4 and  open the project in Vivado 2018.3 having it upgrade the project for the newer version of Vivado.

3) Once the project has loaded. Upgrade the IP cores using the report->report ip status and generate the IP cores as well.

4) finally, generate a bitstream

I have attached a screen shot of this project in Vivado 2018.3 with a bitstream generated. 

best regards,

Jon   

image.png

On 5/29/2019 at 12:03 AM, jpeyron said:

Hi @Zhanneta,

This project was made in and for Vivado 2017.4. The easiest way to upgrade the Cora-Z7 project to Vivado 2018.3 is as follows:

1) Open the project in Vivado 2017.4. Make sure that your project has the vivado library installed in the repo folder.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but can you explain a bit more what is meant by "Make sure that your project has the vivado library installed in the repo folder"? I'm new to Vivado, and that sort of thing in general (I'm really a software engineer), but I have he same issue with pwm_rgb as described above when I open the project in 2017.4 so I guess I must've missed a step somewhere.

Many thanks

John

10 hours ago, jmccabe said:

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but can you explain a bit more what is meant by "Make sure that your project has the vivado library installed in the repo folder"? I'm new to Vivado, and that sort of thing in general (I'm really a software engineer), but I have he same issue with pwm_rgb as described above when I open the project in 2017.4 so I guess I must've missed a step somewhere.

Many thanks

John

Ignore that - the reason I was having that problem was because I hadn't use --recurse-submodules when I'd cloned the Cora-Z7-10-base-linux git repository. I should've used

git clone --recurse-submodules https://github.com/Digilent/Cora-Z7-10-base-linux.git

John

Archived