Project oscilloscope with DMM Shield

hongthiet1994

Question

I had DMM Shield: 7-Function Digital Multimeter Shield

Link product: https://store.digilentinc.com/dmm-shield-7-function-digital-multimeter-shield/#write_review

I had code for Board DMM Shield,now, it can measure voltage, current, ohm,.... but only RMS
Now,  i want to display waveform of signal
I do not know Hy3131 which can read ADC to have wayform?

any suggest for me?

4 answers to this question

Hi @hongthiet1994,

My understanding is that the code for the DMM Shield does not currently support the reading and displaying of waveforms (because the DMM shield doesn't have a display). As shield is reading inputs from an external source, it is possible minimize the reading delay and set up some extra code to display these points on a separate screen. None of us here at Digilent have attempted this though.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @hongthiet1994,

I think you are correct in that the HY3131 will not be able to read a 1 kHz signal, based on the datasheet of the HY3131 only claiming an output rate of 5 Hz (though it isn't the most clear on this point). I believe the important thing to remember with this module is that it is acting as a digital multi-meter, not an oscilloscope (which can operate at high speed).

Does that answer your question, or did I misinterpret what you were asking?

Thank you,
JColvin

I agree with James, there are poor chances to implement a proper oscilloscope with this DMM device due to its poor acquisition rate.

To check this, you could modify the provided demo and remove the delays from the main loop, so you can see data acquired at maximum rate.

Archived