Controlling Analog Discovery from command line

Alberto

Question

Hello, 

we are using the analog discovery in out test setup. 

I prepared several scripts to automate the validation. For the Analog Discovery control we are using the DWFCMD.exe utility application that comes with the WaveForms SDK.

The point is that all the scripts that we had perfectly running in my PC has stop working in a new PC that we have prepared for the TESTs. Both PCs have the same sw versions.  I've installed all the application in the same way as in my PC. It's curious that the GUI Waveforms works, the only that does not work is the DWFCMD.exe utility  in the new PC. There is no error message. Here a sample of th e output:

./DWFCMD.exe connect analogout channel=0 enable=1 start
Starting AnalogOut Channel 1
Starting AnalogOut Channel 2

Some extra data (may be relevant):

Digilent WaveForms utility application. Version 0.1.1

OS Windows 10

Waveforms: 3.7.5 64-bit Qt5.6.3 Windows 10

Any hint about what might be failing in the command line ? Did this occur to any other in the past? Please let me know what else can I check or if you need some extra information to debug this issue

3 answers to this question

Here you have a dwfcmd build which continues the generation after quitting the application: dwfcmd.exe
It requires WF v3.8.15 or newer! You can get the latest beta version from here: https://forum.digilentinc.com/topic/8908-waveforms-beta-download/

In very old software versions the device was stopped on close, later this was changed to continue and since v3.8.15 it has an option for this matter:
in SDK: FDwfParamSet(DwfParamOnClose, 0 continue, 1 stop, 2 shutdown) and in the application under the device options.

Hi @Alberto

The device is stopped when the application quits. In order to have signal output running use for instance the pause argument, like this to run for 10 seconds:
DWFCMD.exe connect analogout channel=0 enable=1 sine frequency=1k amplitude=1 start watch=0 pause=10

Oh, thanks Attila, your command works!!!.

But I wonder why the same built command worked in my previous setup using my laptop and is not Working in the new. 

To develop a little more the issue: in my tests I setup a StartWaveform(...) and StopWaveform() functions ; I usually run the Start and in the middle I run some additional stuff (time variying from test to test), finally whenever I fininsh I run the Stop. In the Start function I've never used the pause, evenmore I would say I could not use it in order to get the execution focus immediately to the 'script' and do additional stuff as the Waveform is running in backgorunf

Do you have any hint why this behavior might have changed from one PC to other; (in concrete, the use of the pause)

Archived