Custom HDL AXI Lite

tahoe250

Question

I am looking for tutorial that guides through the entire flow. Meaning,  create a vivado project then create a linux image based on that hardware design.  I am trying to figure how to write an application that would access my custom HDL module through Linux.  I have already verified that my custom HDL module works through the AXI lite bus interface.  I created a bare metal application to test my custom HDL module and everything works as I expect it.  So, the next step would be doing the same through a Linux application.  Hope that makes sense.  Also,  I am currently working with vivado within Windows 10 would it make more sense to install vivado on a Linux Box?   I have gone through this tutorial:

https://github.com/Digilent/Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-20/blob/master/README.md?_ga=2.65706535.861548781.1558477480-254828324.1551742247

Basically, installed Petalinux on VM linux box.  Another thing, I had a really hard time installing Petalinux on Ubuntu 18.04.2.  I gave up and went to 16.04.4 then seems  to work just fine. Not sure if I understand that one.   Any guidance would be tremendously appreciated.    

P.S I am currently using Zybo-Z7 20 board 

1 answer to this question

@tahoe250,

A quick Google search should yield almost all of what you need: how to create the IP,  integrate it into your design, adjust addresses, build with it, and use it in practice.

Be aware, a lot of Xilinx's AXI IP (as of 2018.3) both has bugs in it and is (rather) slow.  Check out this post discussing the bugs in their AXI-lite demo core, or this one showing how you can build (and verify) a core without the bugs.

Dan

Archived