Finding MAC

BTTroyer

Question

I have several WF32 boards - 

I need to give the MAC address to the "Masters of the Wireless" at our Company...

How does one use DEIPcK/DEWFcK to find the IP (I am using Arduino 1.8.8 with the ChipKit Core 1.0.3) - I cant find any documentation.

Thanks

Bill

4 answers to this question

Hi @BTTroyer,

I haven't looked into the ChipKit Core recently (we have our own Digilent Core), but presuming the functions are the same, I believe the DEIPcK library has two functions that do just this (getMyMac and getMyIP, described on lines 351 and 382 of DEIPck.cpp) that will populate their respective values when called and then you will be able to send these values to a serial terminal (or whatever you prefer) to be able to see them.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,
JColvin

One slight problem...

per the DEIPcK.ccp file:

/***    bool DEIPcK::getMyMac(MACADDR *pMAC)

**  Notes:
**      This value will not be accruate until the Ethernet and IP Stack is fully initialized 

bool DEIPcK::getMyMac(MACADDR& mac)
{
    // get it set up if not already
    if(isLinked())        // <- I am NOT linked so I can't get the address.
    {
        LLGetMyMac(_pLLAdp, &mac);
        return(true);
    }
    return(false);
}

I can't get the MAC till the connection is made. 

I can't make the connection till I provide our network people the MAC 

Our network people get very upset if we start our own wireless  setup.

They don't want the WF32's leaving the building.

Hi @BTTroyer,

I compared the functions between the Digilent Core and the ChipKIT core and it looks like the functions are different (i.e. doesn't look like it needs to be connected to WiFi initially to get the MAC), but I will test this out and see what I can get.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @BTTroyer,

I'm still looking into this (hoping to get it resolved today), but as a workaround that popped into my head, you could have the WF32 connect to your phone's hotspot (if that's a feasible option for you). That way you can get it connected to a network without it leaving the building.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived