Analog Discovery Waveforms 2015 not working with LabView

HansV

Question

Hi,

I find that LabView 2014 was not working with AD2-WaveForms 2015.

After days of investigation now i know that it’s not working with WaveForms runtime 3.2.6 (latest)

If i replace it with the WafeForms runtime 2.9.4 (older, from install file 3.1.5) all seems to work fine!

Perhaps anyone can tell me what  the consequences are ? and / or perhaps Digilent can make a backward compatible runtime?

Thanks in advance,

Sinserely,

Hans Volbeda.

8 answers to this question

Hi Hans,

I have moved this question to a section of the forum where the engineer most qualified to answer your question can see it. From my understanding (from this thread) you are not able to connect the Analog Discovery 2 to both the Waveforms 2015 software and LabVIEW, but it sounds like you are able to do that with the older Waveforms runtime? Am I interpreting that correctly?

Thanks,
JColvin

The WaveForms Runtime is (or at least is intended to be) backwards compatible.

The errors you get indicate that LabVIEW can't find or load the dwf (WF Runtime) library.
Starting with version 3.2.x the WF Runtime (dwf library) for Windows 32bit is compiled with minGW which depends on MS Visual C++ Runtime (MSVCRT) 7, which should be present on any Windows version and the 64bit version requires MSVCRT 12, which is installed during the WF setup. Earlier MSVCRT 9 was used.

Which Windows version and architecture (32/64bit) are you using ?
What is the LabVIEW architecture (32/64) ?
Is the WaveForms 2015 application starting and able to connect to the device ?
I suppose you have left checked the WaveForms Runtime in the WF2015 installer and also did not cancel the eventual prerequisite installations (like MS Visual C++).
Could you try running the dwfcmd (32bit) application like this command:
>"C:/Program Files (x86)/Digilent/WaveFormsSDK/samples/dwfcmd/DWFCMD.exe" connect info
or under 32bit Windows this:
>"C:/Program Files/Digilent/WaveFormsSDK/samples/dwfcmd/DWFCMD.exe" connect info

PS: Providing no text for device name in Digilent WF LabVIEW VIs will open the first available device.

JColvin

Yes that is correct, but i don't know the consequences

Attila

I did an install on 2 different computers with the same results, one computer runs windows 10 professional, 32 bit, the other W10 Home 32 bit.

The waveforms 2015 starts and connects to the device. (I know that only one app can connect at the time)

What is the LabVIEW architecture (32/64) ? this is 32 bit.

If i install WaveForms 2015 with WaveForms runtime checkt (3.2.6) labview will not connect and there are a lot of errors in the LabView examples. After this, If i overwrite the WaveForm runtime with the runtime from the 3.1.5 installer (waveForm runtime 2.9.4) everything seems to work correct as well in LabView (connects, no errors) as with the Digilent Analog Discovery 2).

I did not  cancel the eventual prerequisite installations (like MS Visual C++).I installed everything straight forward with no changes.

C:/Program Files/Digilent/WaveFormsSDK/samples/dwfcmd/DWFCMD.exe works with WaveForms runtime 2.9.4.

PS: Providing no text for device name in Digilent WF LabVIEW VIs will open the first available device. I know this and it works with runtime 2.9.4 NOT with runtime 3.2.6 from the newest install file.

Thanks for your help!

PS: I installed w 10 with the migration tool from microsoft perhaps something is left out during the migration.

MSVCRT.PNG

33 minutes ago, attila said:

It turned out there were some further dependency issues. 
The 32bit WaveForms Runtime from the following installer should work on Windows Vista or newer (not XP).

Sorry for the problem and thank you for the observation.

digilent.waveforms_v3.2.6-2.exe

Attila

Thanks for your time, this installer works as well with the Analog Discovery 2  WaveForms 2015 3.2.6 as with LabView 2014 Home edition.

This installer installed Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 during the installation proces.

I am happy and we can close this discussion here, thanks again!

Archived