ZedBoard not turning ON

Dimple

Question

Hello,

My Zedboard suddenly doesn't turn ON at all. 

It was working all well. A couple days ago,  when I simply connected it to the power supply (not even to the laptop), the Power LED LD13 did not glow. 

The board is no longer being detected. I also checked the fuse F5, and it looks fine. What could have possibly gone wrong? Could you please help me troubleshoot? Or would it be possible to ship the board to Digilent for a check and repair? The board has been purchased less than a year ago.

Thanks,

Dimple

17 answers to this question

Hi @Dimple,

Sorry to hear that your boards is having issues.   

We can help trouble shoot where the issue is . Unfortunately we do not do repairs anymore. If we establish that going through the RMA process is appropriate we will need to know exactly when you purchased the Zedboard.

Have you verified that the external power supply is working?

Is there any part of the Zedboard the is pretty hot to the touch with it just powered on?

Please measure the voltage of the following Capacitors with a DMM while the Zedboard is powered:

either C328, C329 or C330  ( should be 5V)

either C334 or C335 ( should be 3.3V)

either C351 or C352 ( should be 1.5V)

either C365 or C366 ( should be 1.8V)

either C356 or C357 ( should be 1V)

best regards,

Jon

Hi @jpeyron,

Thanks for your response. 

I measured the voltages across the capacitors that you mentioned. C334/C335 show 0V.  There is a short across the caps.

The other caps show expected voltages. 

So is it the regulator that has gone bad?

Thanks, 

Dimple

On 10/7/2020 at 7:47 PM, JColvin said:

Hi @Shiv,

What values do you measure across the capacitors that were mentioned in this specific post?

Do the power good LED light up when you connect a 12V power supply and turn on the Zedboard? Is the board detected by your operating system? What revision of the Zedboard do you have?

Thanks,
JColvin

Hello @JColvin@jpeyron,

I'm facing with exactly the same issue: I suddenly could not power on my Zedboard, which worked pretty fine last month. Just after bringing it to Washington this board failed to start, which was really weird.

The LD13 power light doesn't flash, or to say I can't detect any valid power stages for the capacitors mentioned above. The adapter works since I can detect 12V using DMM on J20 port, but there's no voltage on the switch (SW8) when turned on. Btw I just recognize there's a 8V voltage on element F5, which seems abnormal.

I'm using Rev D version, and this board was purchased an year ago, around Mar. 2020. Please kindly provide any suggestions! Thanks in advance!

Edited by SimonH

10 minutes ago, Cristian.Fatu said:

From your description we suspect that something is broken between J20 and SW8. A simple suggestion is to remove the fuse (F5) and replace it with part 0603SFF500F/32-2. If this is not possible you may try to short it.

Oh the LD13 light is on after shorting the fuse! I guess the blown fuse is exactly the reason. I'll order the same type to replace it, thanks so much!

Best,

Simon

On 6/8/2021 at 7:19 AM, SimonH said:

Oh the LD13 light is on after shorting the fuse! I guess the blown fuse is exactly the reason. I'll order the same type to replace it, thanks so much!

Best,

Simon

I'm just a software engineer so forgive my ignorance on the electric stuff. but how do you short the fuse?

On 5/14/2019 at 7:11 PM, Dimple said:

Hi @jpeyron,

Thanks for your response. 

I measured the voltages across the capacitors that you mentioned. C334/C335 show 0V.  There is a short across the caps.

The other caps show expected voltages. 

So is it the regulator that has gone bad?

Thanks, 

Dimple

I have the same issue with a short across C334/C335 for a board that was previously working.  I have a Rev F board.  The short is there even after removing the regulator.  I subsequently removed IC10 (for USB-OTG) since it was pretty hot.  It didn't make a difference for the short at the VCC3V3 regulator, IC27.  I then used a power supply with current limit and increase the limit to 1A while using a thermal camera to look for hot spots.  There weren't any over about 5 deg-C above ambient.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul Phillips

Hello,

My Zedboard Power LED LD13 did not glow. 

It was working all well last night,  when I simply connected it to the power supply , the Power LED LD13 did not glow. 

But The board is detected  in target area in vivado SW, and the leds (LD0-LD07) turn on and off quickly when the power is turn on.

but the Ethernet leds are turn on when powered the zedboard 

Please kindly provide any suggestions!

Thanks in advance,

Suresh

Hi @harshana,

This is very strange that the Power Good LED (LD13) is not glowing, but the board is still able to be detected and that the Ethernet LEDs are lit up. Are the user LEDs (LD0 through LD7) flashing in a pattern you configured or does it appear to be sporadic? More strangely, the picture of the Zedboard that you sent me has the 5 MIO jumpers all set to ground, so the board should only be configurable through JTAG.

What is confusing to me is that as per page 15 and 16 of the Zedboard schematic, https://digilent.com/reference/_media/reference/programmable-logic/zedboard/zed_sch_rev_f1-public.pdf, the power good LED will only turn on if PG-ALL is enabled. But this pin only becomes enabled if all of the other voltage rails (which ultimately are only enabled if the 12 V supply is accurate) are correctly powered on.

Additionally, the Ethernet LEDs should not be on when there is no cable plugged in as one only lights up when there is an Ethernet connection, and the other indicates activity. Neither of these conditions are true and both are internally controlled by the Ethernet controller chip (as opposed to the Zynq).

By and large, the Zynq also operates at 3.3 V (which is what the Power Good LED uses), so the fact that the Zedboard shows up in the Vivado Hardware Manger is also unexpected.

Unless there are additional details that I am missing, I can really only recommend the following:

- Ensure you are using a 12 V power supply of sufficient wattage (I'm using a 12 V, 3 A supply) and that the supply is outputting the correct voltage
- Check that there isn't any weird debris on the board
- Put the Out of Box demo, available here: https://digilent.com/reference/programmable-logic/zedboard/start#additional_resources, onto the SD card
- Set jumpers MIO 5 and MIO 4 to the 3.3 V settings so that the Zedboard will boot from the SD card
- Set your VADJ jumper to either the 1.8 V or 2.5 V setting (to be clear, I strongly doubt this will do anything, but it won't hurt)
- Turn the Zedboard back on and see if the Power and Done LED turn on and that you get activity through the UART port on J14 at 115200 baud

If this does not change the behavior, then I do not know what is happening with the board and would recommend that you pursue at return (presuming the warranty is in place).

Thanks,
JColvin

Hello, having the same problem here, the board was working and next day, without even touching the system, it stopped working, I checked the suggested capacitor's voltages and I got 0V in C334 or C335, all the other ones are correct.

Any advice on what to do or how to fix it?

Thanks

Hi @RCM13,

I'm guessing that C339 and C340 are also at 0 V as they, like the VCC3V3 rail  are also enabled by the 1.8 V rail (top left corner of page 15 of the schematic for Ref F, https://digilent.com/reference/_media/reference/programmable-logic/zedboard/zed_sch_rev_f1-public.pdf, other schematic versions are available on the Resource Center here: https://digilent.com/reference/programmable-logic/zedboard/start#documentation) which you reported as working.

This will likely mean that something is wrong with IC27, or perhaps one of the individual passive components around the output circuitry have failed. If your board is outside of the 1 year warranty period, https://digilent.com/shop/shipping-returns/#warranty, then I would likely recommend that you attempt to replace that particular chip (after checking to see that the other passive components are at their listed values of course). 

If you purchased the board from Digilent and are within the warranty period, please send me a private message with the following information:

- Order Number
- Purchase Date
- Serial number of the board (located on the barcode on the topside of the device starting with the character 'D')
- preferred email address

I will then get the information to our Sales team who will reach out to you to confirm any additional details that I don't have access to (such as shipping address).

If you instead purchased the board form a distributor (Farnell, Mouser, Amazon, etc) you will need to contact them to determine their own RMA process. They will work with Digilent separately as needed, but feel free to use this thread as evidence as having worked with a Digilent engineer.

Thanks,
JColvin