Generate synchronous waveforms and acquire synchronous signals with AD2 controlled via LabView

Luigi Salamandra

Question

Dear all,

it's my first ask to this forum, I hope to be clear! ?

I need to control an Analog Discovery 2 via LabView to generate 2 synchronous waveforms (W1 and W2, same frequency, maybe different shape, for example a sine and a square!), and, simultaneously, acquire from the scopes (C1 and C2) 2 synchronous signals, to understand the time-behaviour of my DUT.

Just to be less "cloudy", I need something similar to a "lock-in" amplifier based measurement, mixed with the Impedance Spectroscopy. Indeed, I'll change the frequency of the two generated waveforms, like a AC sweep, so I have to create an automatic procedure.

Thank you!

4 answers to this question

Hi @Luigi Salamandra,

I know with the LabForms VI set (link to Instructable detailing it's use) you can generate two signals and measure them at the same time. However, all that was implemented was the simple function generation (such as Sine and Triangle waves), so the sweep and modulation functions that are normally in WaveForms that can be used with the Analog Discovery 2 WaveForm Generator are not implmented within the VI (along with a number of other features and configurations).

If you need the ability to adjust the waveforms with more finesse, I would probably recommend is to take advantage of the WaveForms SDK through LabVIEW or use the scripting capabilities of WaveForms, both of which are documented within the WaveForms download on it's Resource Center. If you need a spectrogram view though, I believe you will need to use the WaveForms software itself to get this (unless LabVIEW has it's own VI to receive and display the needed data as appropriate).

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Thank you,
JColvin

Hi JColvin,

first, thanks for the reply!

I'll see the Instructable and inform you if I'll reach my goal! ?

By the way, my idea comes from the Impedance tool of the WaveForms, very nice, but in my knowledge I can control only one wavegen. Instead, I need also an indipendet wavegen, but at the same frequency, better if synchronized. Thus, if I could re-create the "impedance" tool in LabView, I can make it for sure!

Thank you again.

Bye,

Luigi

Hi @Luigi Salamandra,

I agree that it looks like the impedance tool in WaveForms only lets you control one Waveform Generator directly, so I will actually defer to @attila to see if there is a way to nicely do this for two channels within Impedance tool. Naturally, you can just use the WaveForm generator tool itself and have the two channels be synchronized directly and then measuring the data you want with the oscilloscope tool, though perhaps it might not get the data view you want directly.

Thanks,
JColvin

On 5/3/2019 at 9:01 PM, JColvin said:

Hi @Luigi Salamandra,

I agree that it looks like the impedance tool in WaveForms only lets you control one Waveform Generator directly, so I will actually defer to @attila to see if there is a way to nicely do this for two channels within Impedance tool. Naturally, you can just use the WaveForm generator tool itself and have the two channels be synchronized directly and then measuring the data you want with the oscilloscope tool, though perhaps it might not get the data view you want directly.

Thanks,
JColvin

Again, thank you!

I'm trying to re-produce the synchronized generation and scope in labview, based on the LabForms you mention me.

Stay tuned!!! ?

Bye,

Luigi

Archived