Pmod usb-uart mode

Keyvan

Question

Hi,

I have a question about the pmod usb-uart converter board. It is a bit unclear for me. Can this module be used both as the host or the slave? I want to write to and read from a sensor which is addressable through usb-uart and I was wondering if this can be done with this module, since I am connecting the sensor through this module to my FPGA board, and the sensor does not even seem to be powered on. So I figured maybe this module can not be used as a usb host.

2 answers to this question

Hi @Keyvan,

My understanding is that If you want to connect a PC to your FPGA board the Pmod USBUART will be fine (  your PC has a USB Controller chip). The Pmod USBUART use the FT232R which is a downstream USB device. It is my understanding that connecting two downstream devices through a USB cable will not work.  I do not believe you can use the Pmod USBUART as a UART Host.

Can you be more specific about your project?

best regards,

Jon

Tnx @jpeyron for your response. That is exactly what I thought. About the project, we have a self-made sensor kinda device with usb-uart which works fine when connected to PC and I got 4 of these pmod modules so that I can connect 4 of this sensor to an FPGA board to fuse their data together and now I know I should look for another solution.

Sincere Regards,

Keyvan

Archived