Evaluation Board Compatibility

mikeWylie

Question

I currently have the Nexys Video Artix-7 FPGA board. I can see that the board has the high speed connector that can plug into the AD9114-DPG2-EBZ (https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords= AD9114-DPG2-EBZ ) with an adapter card - AD-DAC-FMC-ADP-ND (https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/analog-devices-inc/AD-DAC-FMC-ADP/AD-DAC-FMC-ADP-ND/2700515).

My question is, how do I find out if the evaluation card (AD9114) with adapter board is compatible with the development kit? Analog devices says the evaluation module will work with any DPG2 compatible board, but I can't seem to figure out if the Artix-7 development kit is DPG2 compatible.

3 answers to this question

@mikeWylie

The DAC that you want to use is an older device and uses a DDR interface, so there's hope. I've posted on this type of question numerous times in answer to numerous questions similar to yours. You can see my list of EVM's that I've found useful in the Technical Off-Topic Useful EVMs for FPGA Development Boards post that I started ( I'll update or respond to posts to queries on that post as needed ). I've posted more specific guidance in answering other similar questions but don't have the time top track them all down.... unfortunately, it's difficult to steer people toward a previous post that might answer their questions.

The short answer is that you have to trace though all of the signals from the EVM through any adapter boards and through the FPGA development board that you are using to make sure of connectivity. When there are no SERDES involved things are easier and more likely to be possible from a clocking point of view but you still need to make sure that your IO pins have compatible standards. The adapter will complicate timing closure, and depending on signal routing might make an interface much more complicated. Make sure to trace though all power and ground pin assignments. Lastly, and most importantly, make sure that clock signals into or out of your FPGA are assigned to clock capable pins. This commentary is not exhaustive.

If you really need one or two channels of high speed DAC or ADC and don't have a big budget to work with I suggest looking a Cyclone based FPGA board with HSMC connectors. Terasic is a good place to look. Opal Kelly has a few Syzygy options for high speed ADC/DAC applications. Otherwise, options are bleak. Trust me that I'm always on the lookout for high sampling rate  ( > 10 MHz ) analog <--> digital development platform options.

In my post for using EVMs with FPGA development boards I mention the Terasic De0 Nano/LTC1668 board combo that I've found to be useful.

Just because a mezzanine card uses an FMC connector that doesn;t mean that it's usable with any FPGA board having an FMC connector. There are two possibilities here that will work:

1. Read the schematics and work out all of the details for yourself before buying anyting
  2. Use the advice of a trusted source who has successfully done what you want to do and then do option 1 anyway.

You are ultimately responsible for everything. Keep in mind that since the FMC is a high speed interface there's no safety net for boo-boos.... you get it right or the odds are very high that you will destroy your FPGA board.

Hi @mikeWylie,

Unfortunately we have not used the AD9114-DPG2-EBZ  with the AD-DAC-FMC-ADP-ND adapter card. FMC's on our boards like the Nexys Video are designed to meet the 57.1 spec. The Nexys Video has a low pin count(LPC) FMC.  I would also suggest contacting Analog Devices to get their input as well.

best regards,

Jon 

HELLO

Have you solved the problem?Recently, I had the same problem .

I currently have the KC705 OR KCU105 FPGA board.

I want to buy a DAC board AD9142A-M5375-EBZ or AD9122-M5375-EBZ with an adapter AD-DAC-FMC-ADP.

My question is, how do I find out if the DAC evaluation card with adapter board is compatible with the fpga board? Will the FPGA board support the DAC running with the maximum data rate ?

THANKS!

Archived