Installing Cable Drivers and Board Files

hmd

Question

I am running Vivado 18.3 on Ubuntu 18.04, and cannot connect to my Arty board. While troubleshooting, I found directions on installing cable drivers and board files (https://reference.digilentinc.com/vivado/installing-vivado/start), however I cannot find the path referenced in 2.1. I have an /opt directory, but it is empty, and while I can find a couple /data directories that look like they could be correct, none of them contain a xicom (or .xicom) directory.

Note: I installed Vivado a while back but never got around to playing with the board until now. I wanted to exhaust all options before trying a fresh install of Vivado.

SOLUTION UPDATE: I found the correct directory path by typing "which vivado" into the terminal, which pointed me to /tools/Xilinx/Vivado instead of /opt/Xilinx/Vivado

7 answers to this question

Hi @hmd,

1) Did you install Vivado 2018.3 on a different drive?

2) Was vivado 2018.3 installed at the default path?

3) Please attach a screen shot of the command  " ls -l "  when in the home/  and the  opt/   directory. Also make sure that you are root.  

best regards,

Jon

Thanks for such a quick response!

1 hour ago, jpeyron said:

1) Did you install Vivado 2018.3 on a different drive?

No

2) Was vivado 2018.3 installed at the default path?

I thought I had, but I installed it in the home directory, and everything I'm reading now says the /opt directory is default. I installed a couple months ago.

3) Please attach a screen shot of the command  " ls -l "  when in the home/  and the  opt/   directory. Also make sure that you are root.  

home_opt.png.39c80772ae5c36d84a496eb2c7e5c9d2.png

Currently, I'm leaning towards uninstalling Vivado and reinstalling in the default directory, so if you don't see an obvious solution here don't spend too much time on it. Thanks!

Hi @hmd,

Change directory(CD)  to the root directory and run the command s -l there.  Its been a little bit since I have played around with Linux in my Virtual machine. I believe the OPT directory is there. Sorry about the mis-information.

best regards,

Jon

Hi @hmd,

I opened my VM and looked opt/ from the root directory. It has the Xilinx/ directory. I think it would be best to uninstall and re-install Vivado an leave it to default settings. Make sure that you are root while installing Vivado to insure there is no issues with permissions.

best regards,

Jon

Vivado_linux_path.jpg

I was poking around and seem to have found a solution, the correct path for me starts with /tools, not /opt. I found this by typing "which vivado" into the terminal (not sure why I didn't think to try that sooner). Once I found that I was able to complete the installation, and can now connect to the board. Thanks for the help!

Archived