Current version of Debian in shipping BBBs

LazerBoi64

Question

What is the current version of Debian that is shipping in BeagleBone Blacks from Digilent?  I've been messing around with one I purchased last month and have flashed the eMMC numerous times and don't know what I started with.  I tried asking customer service and they said it was too technical for them.  Thanks!

4 answers to this question

11 hours ago, D@n said:

@LazerBoi64,

Are you sure you have the right vendor?  I just checked through all of the items on sale in the embedded processor section and didn't see any BeagleBone Blacks (BBBs) for sale.

Dan

LOL yeppers!

https://store.digilentinc.com/labview-physical-computing-kit-for-beaglebone-black-limited-time/

I've been struggling to dredge up my Unix experience from 30 years ago and apply it to this board as well as a RPi 3B+ in an effort to get them to run LabView.  In the process, I had flashed the BBB's eMMC with the most current software only to find it broke LINX.  I then back-rev'd the software to 8.6 2016-11-06 which seems to work so far.  But, I'd like to know what it originally shipped with in order to fill out the revision continuum.

-Scott

Hi @LazerBoi64,

I heard back from the engineer who designed LINX and got it working with the Rasberry Pi and the BeagleBone Black. Unfortunately though, they don't remember the exact version that was used beyond it being an 8.X variant. Based on this, I would guess it would probably be a slightly earlier version than 8.6 was loaded (such as the 8.5 variant), but again, that is just a guess.

I'm sorry I don't have more definitive information for you.

Thanks,
JColvin

@JColvin, thanks for getting back to me.  Through trial and error I've found that version 8.4 dated 2016-05-13 was the only one I could get to work reliably with LINX.  Again, this was downloaded from https://beagleboard.org/latest-images and the simple blink example has been running without any hiccups.  I haven't gone to anything more complex yet as I them moved on to do the same experiment with my Pi 3B+.  Unfortunately that was an utter failure.  Versions of Raspbian from that date simply would not boot with the newer hardware.  I guess if I need to go the Pi route, I'll have to try a Pi 2B instead.

Thanks again!

Archived