WaveForms 3.9.1 to 3.10.9 backwards incompatibility

Rick314

Question

I just upgraded WaveForms 3.9.1 to 3.10.9 (both official supported releases), loaded the attached .dfw3work file, and see that a setting has changed.  Fortunately I saved an image from 3.9.1 before the upgrade.  Notice that the spectrum analyzer Magnitude setting changed from "dBV, Top 0, Bottom -80" to "dBV<tilda>, Top 0, Bottom 10".  It is fine that the units were clarified from V (Volts) to V<tilda> (Volts RMS), but the Bottom value changed too.  The workaround is easy once the problem is recognized -- Just re-set the desired value and re-save the workspace file.  But this makes all version 3.9.1 .dfw3work files that use this common spectrum analyzer setting fail when opened with 3.10.9.

More importantly this brings Digilent's pre-release regression testing of WaveForms into question.  What other incompatibilities exist between workspace files created with old WaveForms versions and the recently-released version 3.10.9?

190313_FM_Bessel_Null_workaround_v3.9.1.png

190313_FM_Bessel_Null_workaround_v3.10.9.png

190313_FM_Bessel_Null_workaround.dwf3work

2 answers to this question

Hi @Rick314

The top/bottom values are not loaded because of the dBV to dBṼ modification.
The next version will accept V for Ṽ, A for Ã, and it will load old projects correctly like these dBV values.

I hope there are not too many incompatibilities. If there are any noticed I will try to fix it.
The application is in continuous development, features are added and modified based on feedbacks, like your valuable observations.

Archived