Arty A7 USB mechanical USB problem

Hi all,

during development with Arty A7 I accidentally make it fall with the USB (J10) connected. After that the connector broke the PCB connections, I tried to solder again but without success so the question is, can I solder another USB cable to the board to recover the programming and UART functionality? Moreover, where can I connect the USB pins?

Thank you

Regards

Hi @acm45,

Welcome to the Digilent Forums!

I do not see an alternative place to solder a USB connector to the programming circuit on the Arty  A7. There is the JTAG port J8 as discussed in the reference manual that can be used with a JTAG programmer like the JTAG-HS2 to give you uart and configuration functionality back.

best regards,

Jon

Hi @jpeyron,

thank you for your answer but I was thinking that I can solder an external USB cable, more precisely D+ and D-  wires somewhere, for example if there are series resistor between the connector and the FTDI chip? To recover JTAG and UART functionality. I know that USB/JTAG part of the schematic is not available.
Thank you

Regards

Aurelio

Hi @acm45,

I reached out to one of our design engineers about this thread. They responded that:

"there are no series resistors between the D+ and D- pins of the connector and the those pins on the FT2232HQ. I think it would be very difficult to solder the D+ and D- wires directly to pins of the USB controller. My suggestion is to purchase an external JTAG programmer/debugger (JTAG-HS2) and attach it to header J8."

best regards,

Jon

• 1 year later...

I have worn out my USB connector and will have to put in a cable, short, and overmold it hot melt glue, or go buy another one.  My zybo has a power switch which saves the connector.

A good quality micro USB connector should have at least 10,000 cycles.  Clearly, the one on the Arty is the cheapest one they could find without regard to quality.

Clyde

Archived