WaveForms 3.9.1 GUI Save & Re-open Problems

Rick314

Question

See the images for what WaveForms 3.9.1 looks like before "Workspace, Save" and after "Workspace, Open". I included the .dwf3work file to hopefully help replicate the problems. I am guessing fixing these will fix similar problems in other Graphical User Interface (GUI) setups.

• The windows are resized.
  • The Impedance, Capacitance and Admittance windows have their "Quick Measure: Free" cursors turned on.
  • The right "trace toolbar" is expanded.
  • The final Time window plots are gone (but all other plots remain).

190324_Impedance3_pre-save.png

190324_Impedance4_after-open.png

190324_Impedance.dwf3work

4 answers to this question

Hi @Rick314

The quick measure and toolbar save/load is corrected for the next version.

The time data is not saved in Spectrum, Network and Impedance Analyzers. This plot is only intended to debug the analysis steps, to see the signal margins, distortions...

The windows are loaded with WF v3.9.1 from your project like this:
image.thumb.png.1ce2c5589be3f6bcf833e1afab631413.png

After I adjust them, save and load it it seems to keep the correct positions:

image.thumb.png.37fbbe3ae2f1d8553130c0cb58e9962d.png

image.thumb.png.eaf9b1c0c26a30153c7c8053a45e10a4.png

Thank you for your observations.

Thank you @attila. I mentioned 4 problems and understand "The quick measure and toolbar save/load is corrected for the next version."  But I want to discuss the other two more.

1. The windows are resized. You replied "The windows are loaded with WF v3.9.1 from your project like this" and showed a picture. We get different results. When I load the .dwf3work file I uploaded, I get my posted image with the resized windows every time. Let's dig deeper. I am using WaveForms "Version: 3.9.1 64-bit Qt5.6.3 Windows 7" on a Windows 7 PC with all current updates provided by MicroSoft. This is a supported platform for WaveForms. Are you able to replicate the window-resizing defect with that release and platform?  4/7/19 edit to my original 4/5/19 post: The window resizing is related to "Settings, Options, Instruments windows".  I have this set to "Docking" both before saving and after re-opening the .dwf3work file.  If that setting is changed to Separate or Tabbed before re-opening the .dwf3work file the window sizes appear correctly.  (So this provides a workaround to the defect.  But saving and re-opening with the Docking setting still looks like a defect that should be replicated and fixed.)  Re-opening the .dwf3work file with the "MDI" setting appears very odd and then changes when the resulting pan is moved.
  2. The final Time window plots are gone (but all other plots remain). You replied "The time data is not saved in Spectrum, Network and Impedance Analyzers. This plot is only intended to debug the analysis steps, to see the signal margins, distortions..." This seems to say "it is intended to work that way" but I am trying to say it should not work that way. Why? The Time window is just a Scope trace and Scope traces are saved in the workspace file. So customers (like me) expect the same feature in Impedance, Spectrum and Network. In the Impedance tool saving the Time window data is just as useful as saving the other 9 plots displayed. I want it for showing my students a complete set of measurement results after opening the .dwf3work file in the classroom without an EE board and then changing the plot parameters to display/hide and re-scale various windows. So saving the Time window data makes sense for both consistency and functional reasons.

Archived