Anusha Kodimela

Interface to transfer data from FPGA TO PC Digilent Genesys2 Kintex7 Board

Question

Hello Team!

I am using Genesys2 FPGA for building a module with generates 32 bit values which are to be sent to PC for further analysis and computations.right now I am storing those values in async block ram fifo.

which interface would be good for my requirement to implement as the board that I am using right now Genesys2 Kintex-7 contains both USB-UART and Ethernet(attaching the data sheet) .

could anyone elaborate in brief what steps are to be implemented depending on the interface being used?

Thanks and Regards

Anusha Kodimela

genesys2_rm.pdf

Hi @Anusha Kodimela,

I talked with one a more experienced co-worker about your thread.

Looking at the HDL and the attached simulations they think that the data coming out of the FIFO needs to be encoded into asci hex before transmitting the data to the PC or use some kind of program on the PC side to convert the data to asci hex before reading the data in a serial terminal emulator. 

best regards,

Jon

But Jon,

I am expecting the ascii value will be displayed on the terminal(by default) instead of the binary data on the terminal and later we need to decode that ascii code to find the exact data isn't it right?should we assign design a converter in our hdl which takes in binary 8 bit value converts it to ascii hex?

Hi @Anusha Kodimela,

You can design a converter in your hdl which takes in binary 8 bit value from the FIFO and converts it to ascii hex before transmitting to the PC using the USB UART bridge. The other option is once you have transmitted the data to the pc you can use a program to convert the 8 bit data to ascii hex and then read it on the terminal.

best regards,

Jon