Interface to transfer data from FPGA TO PC Digilent Genesys2 Kintex7 Board

Anusha Kodimela

Question

Hello Team!

I am using Genesys2 FPGA for building a module with generates 32 bit values which are to be sent to PC for further analysis and computations.right now I am storing those values in async block ram fifo.

which interface would be good for my requirement to implement as the board that I am using right now Genesys2 Kintex-7 contains both USB-UART and Ethernet(attaching the data sheet) .

could anyone elaborate in brief what steps are to be implemented depending on the interface being used?

Thanks and Regards

Anusha Kodimela

genesys2_rm.pdf

Hi @Anusha Kodimela,

Here is the Genesys 2 resource center. Here is the getting started with microblaze servers tutorial that will help you set up an ethernet echo server.  I have not set up the Microblaze/Ethernet design to transfer data to the PC. I have altered the echo.c file in the echo server to interact with certain words being typed into the serial terminal on the PC.

best regards,

Jon

echo.txt

Thankyou for the reply jeypron!

We weren't looking for any specific number (volume of data and the date rate)  but more likely aligned towards using the Ethernet since we would like to do it in faster rate compared to USB rates .

My main objective is to access the Data written in the FIFO and grab it to the PC using ethernet which can be a upper level program written in matlab/python to access the data but before I do that how should I set up the Ethernet using the IP crore to allow access from the PC  to my block ram FIFO.

Could you please let me know from the FPGA end what all needs to be done to set up Ethernet such as which IP core has to be used,IP core settings etc.

Also could you let me know for using USB UART do we need IP core?

Thanks and Regards

Anusha Kodimela

Hi @Anusha Kodimela,

Ethernet can move large amounts of data with a high data transfer rate. Ethernet requires a large amount of time setting it up and is a complicated process. 

USB UART is slower and has a much lower data transfer rate. It is much easier to set up and is a less complicated process. 

Before investing much time into either process I would first determining your projects data rate needs.  You mention a 32 bit value that you are reading and are currently storing in async block ram fifo.

How much data and how fast are you wanting to transfer that data from the Genesys 2 to the PC?

best regards,

Jon

Archived