ZYBO HDMI IN project

birca123

Question

10 answers to this question

Hi @birca123,

The easiest why to use a newer version is load the project in the intended version , in this case Vivado 2016.4 and  then open it in the desired Version of Vivado. Then upgrade the ip's and alter any xdc pin names that might have changed when the HDMI IP's were updated. Here is a project where I have upgraded the project to Vivado 2018.3. The project can be found in the proj folder. I did not validate that the project worked with SDK and Monitors but the Vivado project generated a bitstream. So you should only need to export the hardware including the bitstream launch SDK and import the HDMI applications.

best regards,

Jon

Hi @jpeyron,

It works when I export it to the hardware including the bitstream, but I would like to use it in my project and add additional IPs like AXI timer or something like that. When I generate bitstream I get 12 critical warnings, it seems like the path from your PC: 

Can I fix it somehow?

Best regards,

Toni

Capture.JPG

Hi @birca123,

You will need to click into setting->ip->repository and change the path to reflect where the vivado library folder is on your PC. On my pc the path is C:\Users\jpeyron\Desktop\Zybo-hdmi-in\repo\vivado-library. I have attached screen shots as well.

best regards,

Jon

HDMI_IN_2018_3_2.jpg

HDMI_IN_2018_3.jpg

Hi @jpeyron,

I followed your steps but there was already my path and tried to regenerate bitstream and I get the same warnings. Also, I can't open system.mss of HDMI_IN_bsp, it says: "Failed to create the part's controls". Including error which I get in SDK, shown below. 

Best regards,

Toni

Capture.JPG

Hi @birca123

I would suggest to start with a fresh sdk portion of the project. To do this close SDK and delete the hdmi-in.sdk folder in the \Zybo-hdmi-in\proj folder. Then in vivado click file->export -> export hardware including the bitstream. Then launch SDK from Vivado by clicking in file and selecting launch SDK. Once in SDK and the HW platform is loaded click in file and import HDMI_IN and HDMI_IN_bsp from Zybo-hdmi-in\sdk.

Once you have the HDMI_IN and HDMI_IN_bsp into your SDK project then program the FPGA

Next open a serial terminal emulator like tera term and connect to the Zybo's com port. Set the baud rate to 115200 everything else should be left at default settings. 

Now connect the Zybo to the HDMI and VGA device.

then in SDK right click on  HDMI_IN and select run as->launch on hardware(system debugger). 

Do you see the serial terminal menu?

Is there an image on the VGA device?

Hi @jpeyron,

I got the same errors when I did that, errors from SDK Log are shown below. There's also an error: "Program "arm-xilinx-eabi-gcc" not found in PATH".

This happened when I regenerated bitstream, but when I used the bitstream which you generated it worked. I was able to see the serial terminal menu on Tera term and there was an image from my GoPro camera on the VGA device.

Best regards,

Toni

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Hi @birca123,

I got the same errors when I loaded the applications. Looking at the last line says that the "BSP Project P/HDMI_IN_bsp has been successfully migrated" is a good thing. I was able to program the FPGA, run the application and the project to worked. I have updated the above linked HDMI project with my sdk portion done as well. I have also attached my SDK log so you can compare it to what you have.

best regards,

Jon

SDK_LOG_HDMI_IN.txt

Hi @jpeyron,

Ok, I understand. I program the FPGA, run the application, it works perfectly for the first time, but if I run the application for the second time I'm not getting the image from the camera. It only displays one of the test patterns. I got the same problem when I run the 2016.4 project, after updating IPs and changing iic to IIC and dcc to DCC inside of .xdc file.

Actually, the reason why I'm trying to make this work is that I want to implement NN on ZYBO to recognize handwritten digits from an image taken from a camera which should be connected via HDMI. NN works fine when I send an image via UART, but now I should get an image from a camera. Since I started using Vivado two months ago, I'm still not familiar with creating my own block designs except the basic ones so the block design of HDMI_IN example seems complicated to me. Do you know what's the best approach to get an image from HDMI or which IPs should I use and how should I configure them? Is there any guide or tutorial on how to accomplish that? I've found a few projects with HDMI input, but mostly they run Linux OS on ZYBO which is not actually what I'm looking for, I would like to make a standalone application. :)

Best regards,

Toni

Hi @birca123,

I would suggest to press PS-RST button which is connected to a dedicated pin on the FPGA. The PS-RST button will reset the Processing system of the Zynq. I believe you should be able to re-run the application without an issue after you press the PS-RST.

best regards,

Jon 

Archived