Cmod S6 / Xilinx ISE problem programming flash = very slow

rich379

Question

Hi all,

More than a question, this is an answer that I hope will help others who encounter the same problem.

I encountered an issue when programming the flash on the Cmod S6 using the latest Xilinx ISE 14.7 dated 2018-02-26 for Windows 10 (runs in a Linux virtual machine ).

Programming the flash (with iMPACT) was very very slow and would sometimes take as much as one hour!

I tried everything: compression, activating quad-spi, and scoured forums for the answer and agonized for several days before finding a solution.

In the end I managed to find a prior version of Xilinx ISE (still 14.7, but a native Windows version dated 2013-10-13).

After installing this older version, the problem was solved and a 20x improvement of programming speed (was 25 minutes, and now 67 seconds).

My idea is that the core FPGA image that is loaded onto the Spartan 6 and that is used to indirectly program the flash has a bug or something that affects the S25FL128S flash on the Cmod S6.

IPerhaps the core image provided with the earlier version of ISE doesn't have this bug?

The details:

* Using Cmod S6 marked 1410 4401877 (FPGA = Xilinx XC6SLX4-3CPG186, Flash = S25FL128S)

* Using a simple USB cable connected directly to Cmod S6.

* I was using Xilinx ISE 14.7 Webpack (Xilinx_ISE_S6_Win10_14.7_ISE_VMs_0206_1)

* I replaced it with Xilinx ISE 14.7 Embedded Edition (Xilinx_ISE_DS_Win_14.7_1015_1). This license for this version is also free. Likely the Webpack version would also work just fine.

* I am using Windows 10, which is not officially supported by this earlier version of ISE.  But a simple "hack" suffices to get it working (found on the Net) :

In C:\Xilinx\14.7\ISE_DS\ISE\lib\nt64

1. Rename libPortability.dll to libPortability.dll.orig

2. Copy libPortabilityNOSH.dll to libPortability.dll

3. Also copy libPortabilityNOSH.dll to C:\Xilinx\14.7\ISE_DS\common\lib\nt64\libPortability.dll

Hope this helps someone.

Richard

NB. I am posting this just minutes after having discovered this "solution". 

1 answer to this question

Archived