will Analog Discovery 2 work with Android OS on a tablet?

Jaye

Question

sorry about the false start a moment ago, was unaware the enter key  for the topic title would 'send'.

I would like to use the Analog Discovery 2 with a tablet to create an automated test station.  The tablet is 'Voyager Pro' and comes loaded with Android OS.  Has one USB port and WiFi. 

Is it possible to use Analog Discovery with this, or any tablet?  If so, how ould I proceed with a download to this operating system

Thank you.

Jaye

11 answers to this question

I look forward to seeing AD2 support for android.  We have 2 AD2s in our lab. Sometimes we need to do measurement in space limited environment and a mobile phone is a better choice as a host device.

There already exists pocket oscilloscopes like https://hackaday.com/2019/01/31/a-science-lab-in-your-pocket/

Hi @attila,

I know it's kind of an old question, but I wonder, do you still think that Android support for Analog Discovery 2 is not going to happen?

I have Android 10 at the moment, but I know that Android 13 is coming soon. Is the USB device driver problem still an issue?

Even if the WaveForms software would not run, could the DWF SDK libraries theoretically work if the USB driver works fine on newer Androids?

I ask it, because I have a .NET 6 application that uses my AD2 and it could run on Andoid, if DWF would work.

Szia @Andras

Unfortunately I don't see having Android support any time soon.

The WF app can be compiled for Android, I've tested it on my phone. The UI would need some tweaking for touch operation and small screen.
The problem would be with the USB device drivers but it would be possible to support network devices.

Szia @attila,

I just wanted to share the news that I could make AD2 work with Android. Kind of :)

I connected AD2 to my Android 10 phone by using an OTG cable. I installed VirtualHere USB Server on my phone and the VirtualHere USB Client on my Windows 11.

After some basic configuration I could see my AD2 as "Digilent USB Device" on my Windows machine while it was connected to my phone only.

image.png.32c265faab909883dc67f6be6ba36d31.png

I selected "Use this device", I opened WaveForms and I was able to start the Scope.

VirtualHere USB Server costs $25, but it's probably worth it for someone who needs the extra mobility.