mehmetdemirtas89

PMODDA2 (DA2RefComp) in VIVADO as an IP module or RTL Module

Question

hey everyone,

I am trying to generate different waveforms of analog signals using ZEDBOARD + PMODDA2. My previous question was about Pmod+zedboard.  Then, I was able to simulate the example  verilog code (pmod_da2_demo) and -after changing the constraint file (.xdc)- i generated the bitstream and programmed the FPGA on my ZEDBOARD. This example piece of code generates an 12-bit digital input to the DAC and the output is expected to be a triangular waveform whose output amplitude is in between around 1.5 and 2.5 Volts. When I checked the output on the o-scope i have obtained the following wave.

IMG_20190328_155337.thumb.jpg.b89468ca8ec3e54c55265ccb4f36e8d0.jpg

However, I want use both PS and PL parts of the Zedboard. That is why i need a block design which will have ZYNQ7 PS + AXI interconnect + Processor System Reset etc plus my PMODDA2's  reference component i.e. DA2RefComp. DA2RefComp's inputs are CLK,RST,DATA1,DATA2 and START. If I package DA2RefComp as an IP its GUI looks like as the following:  

image.png.bf31fc40237f532a1ba9ba132704dfc1.pngimage.png.c20d6c3f564af3ff22310bead489656f.png

The other option is to make an RTL module using the given DA2RefComp.vhd as shown below. 

image.png.658b16e1742bb7efda2d29d224d22aee.png

I tried to make the RTL module to work with Zynq7 PS. Then reading from the forum's suggestions, I tried to make the following circuit. Using AXI GPIOs and AXI Int etc are connected automatically. The triangle_0 IP module just generates triangular wave. MY question is this connection below seems correct? I couldnt make it work, yet. Secondly, the CLK input of DA2RefComp requires 50 MHz input so should I divide the clock of the PS? What should I do with the RST input of DA2RefComp? Is it just good when connected to the other resets automatically?

image.thumb.png.2fd8a8fbd54b89eabc961dac73cfd5b8.png

3 answers to this question

Hi @mehmetdemirtas89,

Here is a forum thread that includes a project done by a community member for the PmodAD1 using the ADD a module function and the AXI GPIO IP Core. This example should help you correctly set up your project.

best regards,

Jon

Posted (edited)

Hi @jpeyron

Actually, i checked almost all forum threads/posts about this topic. However, probably because of my lack of expertise I cannot solve the problem. If I create RTL module then i cannot figure out how to connect it to the AXI GPIO IP. Moreover, if I create an IP out of DA2RefCOmp,  i dont figure out how to interface it with AXI. For example, I have a problem with connecting the CLK,RST and START inputs of DA2RefComp... I dont get where those inputs should be connected?

I exactly know that the outputs should be routed to the external pins.. that is the easy part. Also, the DATA1 and DATA2 inputs are fed by my wave_generator. 

Any forum member's help on this problem is welcomed...

my best regards,

P.S. Do I need to design module i.e. DA2REFComp_Controller (IP or RTL module) to control the inputs/outputs of the DA2RefComp ?

MD

Edited by mehmetdemirtas89