Drilling holes in OpenScope MZ

Hey there I was wondering about enlarging the four holes that are on the OpenScope MZ. I'd love to drill them out to fit something like a #8  (.175" or or 4.45 mm) screw. Are there any traces running near those four holes that would prevent me from doing that?

Hi @KevinM,

I talked with out layout engineer and they let me know that this is definitely not a good idea as the internal planes can short. The aperture in the copper planes/polygons around the 1.5mm mounting holes is 2.5mm in diameter, so you would need to keep within that area (and ensure that the drilling process does not cause any of the external area around it to become crushed/shorted together).

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @KevinM,

The recommendation remains that you should not attempt this. Safely leaving 0.05 mm (just shy of 2 thousandths of an inch) on each side of the hole will be incredibly difficult if not nearly impossible as a common small size for a PCB trace width is 5 or 6 mils.

If you are willing to void the warranty on your board (by intentionally drilling a hole into it) and have equipment available to achieve this level of precision and then are able to check that no shorts have occurred via a microscope, then this is theoretically possible to do without ill effect.

Good luck,
JColvin

Archived