sstadlertsi

Revision Control for Vivado

Question

I downloaded the Arty General I/O Demo, and followed the instructions in the "how to generate a project from Digilent's GIThub"
I was talking to someone else about revision control for Vivado, and they described a similar process, using the journal to capture what you have done, and making a tcl file to re-generate the project.
I want to know how to do this?
Do you have a document or wiki page that describes how to set this up? Which files you need to store in order to re-generate your project, and how to set up the tcl file?
There is a Write Project tcl generator in Vivado now, but it looks different than yours for the General I/O demo.
I am going through UG1198, but I wanted to see if you have something easier to follow here.
Thank You,
Steve

Edited by JColvin
resized font

3 answers to this question

Hi Steve,

I have asked some of our applications engineers about this; they will get to you back on the forum.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi Steve,

We only have some very loose instructions on creating these projects. You can basically read through the create_project.tcl script found in the /proj folder to see how it works. It basically creates a new project and adds the other folders as Vivado repos. If there is a block design it runs that tcl script as well. All you would really need to do is make a copy and replace the files in there with your own files.

I'd also like to add this link to a video that shows you how to use revision control with Vivado. This video is linked in UG1198, but I wanted to point out this resource in case it was  missed.

Andrew