Notebook cannot detect Electronics Explorer Board

Satz

Question

Hi,

My Electronics Explorer Board (Rev F) was working fine until I upgraded to the latest version of Waveforms. Now my notebook (Windows 10 pro 64-bit) cannot detect the board - Device Manager does not show it, and there is no unknown device also. 

I tried all the troubleshooting steps without success.

Can anyone please help me fix my problem? Thank you.

8 answers to this question

Hi @Satz

I don't think the software update is guilty, since the USB device detection is done by the operating system, so the device should be detected regardless of the installed software.

Try restarting the computer, disconnect the 12V supply from the board and reconnect after a few seconds to reset it properly, try reconnecting or changing the USB cable, use another socket or hub...

Let us know if it is working or if you need further assistance.

Hi @Attila,

Thanks for your quick response. To be more complete about my problem:

1. Notebook: Win 10 pro 64-bit.
2. EE Board Rev F
3. Problem: EE board usb not detected - the device manager does not register the board at all
4. Troubleshooting: I've tried all the steps in your EE board troubleshooting guide. No success
5. Additional troubleshooting, all of which did not resolve the problem:
   a) tried other usb ports
   b) tried different usb cables
   c) tried on different notebook, also Windows 10 64-bit

I'm afraid it may be a EE board usb hardware fault. Would appreciate any advise as I would not want to dispose of the board.
Thank you.

Hi @Satz

The USB controller of the board is powered from the 12V supply.
Make sure this is supplied, the red led should be lit.

The yellow led should light up to indicates the USB GND/5V.
Please inspect the USB socket on the board if the soldering is in place and the internal contact plate is not broken.

On the EExplorer revF and earlier the USB EEPROM could get erased by 12V supply spikes.

In this case the device is normally detected as USB VID_04B4&PID_8613 (see in Windows Device Manager) and can be reprogrammed.

It might also get erased in a way that it fails to boot and the system should report after about a minute unrecognized device.
To solve this, power up having the EEPROM disconnected:
1. cut the trace between JP1200 pads, located on the bottom close to the USB plug
2. solder a jumper, verify with a DMM there is no continuity on these pads/pins
3. power up the board with 12V supply and connect it to the PC, now it should be detected as unknown device VID_04B4&PID_8613
4. short the jumper with a header, this will attach the EEPROM
5. use the reprogramming application to rewrite the firmware

Hi @attila,

Thanks again for the fast response. My answers/questions (in red) in reply to your advice:

--------------------
Hi @Satz

The USB controller of the board is powered from the 12V supply.
Make sure this is supplied, the red led should be lit. [Yes]

The yellow led should light up to indicates the USB GND/5V. [Yes]
Please inspect the USB socket on the board if the soldering is in place and the internal contact plate is not broken. [Soldering and connections look good on visual inspection]

On the EExplorer revF and earlier the USB EEPROM could get erased by 12V supply spikes.

In this case the device is normally detected as USB VID_04B4&PID_8613 (see in Windows Device Manager) and can be reprogrammed. [Device is not detected at all]

It might also get erased in a way that it fails to boot and the system should report after about a minute unrecognized device. [System does not detect device at all, even after more than 2 minutes]

To solve this, power up having the EEPROM disconnected:
1. cut the trace between JP1200 pads, located on the bottom close to the USB plug
2. solder a jumper, verify with a DMM there is no continuity on these pads/pins
3. power up the board with 12V supply and connect it to the PC, now it should be detected as unknown device VID_04B4&PID_8613
4. short the jumper with a header, this will attach the EEPROM
5. use the reprogramming application to rewrite the firmware

[Since the device is not detected at all, will the above reprogramming process still work?]
-------------

Hi @Satz

Sorry but I can't say anything for sure.
- It could be problem with the USB socket, GND/VCC is fine, but there is slight chance data lines to be damaged
- The USB controller might be damaged, but I don't remember any similar problem with the EExplorer board
- The firmware could be partially erased and the USB controller stops working

You can try to cut the trace between JP1200 and see if any device is detected. At the moment I don't have any better option.

Hi @attila,

Tried your suggestion of cutting the JP1200 trace to see if the board is detected. Unfortunately, no success. So I guess my board is really useless now. ?

Any suggestion whether I can repurpose it for some other use?

Thanks.

HI @attila,

Good news! I was fiddling around with my board, and suddenly it was detected as an unknown device. I reprogrammed it with the app you provided and all is working well now. I really don't know what caused it to 'die' and I can't figure out what caused it to come alive again. I hope it is not an intermittent issue. Will keep running the board for a while to see if it acts up.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. Cheers!

Archived