OpenLogger: how to log data to the SD card

Thanks for updating the new function of logging data to the SD card!
Unfortunately, I still can not find the button for logging data to the SD card in
the WaveForms Live. Only 'chart' is available. My firmware is already the
newest version 0.1719.0.

image.png.0377e891fa8920a06a17c482dcf15ba9.png

Hi @Peggy,

The only thing I can do to reproduce this is when I do not have an SD card inserted into the OpenLogger itself as opposed to in a computer slot. Can you confirm if you have a functional micro SD card plugged into the OpenLogger?

Thank you,
JColvin

1 hour ago, JColvin said:

Hi @Peggy,

The only thing I can do to reproduce this is when I do not have an SD card inserted into the OpenLogger itself as opposed to in a computer slot. Can you confirm if you have a functional micro SD card plugged into the OpenLogger?

Thank you,
JColvin

Hi Jcolvin,

I have tried three different sizes of brand new SD cards(64,128, 256 Gb). I inserted the SD card to the OpenLogger. Unfortunately, Waveform Live didn't show the option of logging data to the SD card.

image.png.589c0dc2a8f742d0c2f04f5f0db20718.png

Thanks,

Peggy

Hi @Peggy,

I asked some of the other engineers more familiar with OpenLogger and I think the problem you are running into is that the OpenLogger is only designed to work with SD cards that set up as a FAT32 (as opposed to NTFS which the larger cards you are using are probably formatted as).

You will need to use a smaller SD card (32 GB or less) or partition one of the larger drives and re-format it as FAT32 in order for it to work correctly.

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Thank you,
JColvin

59 minutes ago, JColvin said:

Hi @Peggy,

I asked some of the other engineers more familiar with OpenLogger and I think the problem you are running into is that the OpenLogger is only designed to work with SD cards that set up as a FAT32 (as opposed to NTFS which the larger cards you are using are probably formatted as).

You will need to use a smaller SD card (32 GB or less) or partition one of the larger drives and re-format it as FAT32 in order for it to work correctly.

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Thank you,
JColvin

Hi JColvin,

Thanks for suggestions. This time I used a correct functional SD card but the Waveform Live again didn't show the SD card option.

Is this function of logging data to the SD card really available now?

image.png.fa0bd2d721e8fd913aceb8f10e865685.pngimage.png.37272e81d022fde9449b633ee6513fb2.png

Thanks,

Peggy

Hi @Peggy,

It should be as far as I can tell from my end, based on the screenshots I have attached. I was able to connect the SD card and log to it. I did have to close out of the GUI to disconnect and then reconnect to the OpenLogger before it showed that the SD card was available in the "Log to" dropdown box since it didn't dynamically update (though hot plugging is okay to do with OpenLogger).

However, what I did learn (a bit unexpectedly to be honest) is that the data is sent over and logged in a binary format and would need to be parsed before it is readily readable. I know that a logging utility is being worked on and will be incorporated into the Digilent agent so that the data can be readily converted into a log file without needing to install anything else, though I do not know when this will be completed.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

OpenLogger SD card formatting.png

OpenLogger SD compatibility.png

Hi JColvin,

Thanks for your help! I made it this time!

The main cause is that my SD card is wrong (64GB, exFAT). Even though I formatted this SD card into (16 GB, FAT32), it still doesn't work. The partition software is cheating me....

I finally borrow a real FAT32 formatted SD card of 32 GB from my colleague and it works well with the OpenLogger and WaveForms Live.

Thank you so much!

Peggy

• 2 months later...
On 3/13/2019 at 4:56 AM, JColvin said:

However, what I did learn (a bit unexpectedly to be honest) is that the data is sent over and logged in a binary format and would need to be parsed before it is readily readable. I know that a logging utility is being worked on and will be incorporated into the Digilent agent so that the data can be readily converted into a log file without needing to install anything else, though I do not know when this will be completed.

I am rather frustrated by this too! I can capture data and store it on the SD card but what good is that if I cant view it and export so I can analyse it?

Its about as useful as a black hole :):(

On 5/31/2019 at 10:46 AM, sgrobler said:

I am rather frustrated by this too! I can capture data and store it on the SD card but what good is that if I cant view it and export so I can analyse it?

Its about as useful as a black hole :):(

Agreed. From what I've read on these forums, someone has written some Python code to convert the binary - but no "builtin" or official conversion exists.

Not sure if it "will" be eventually offered or not.  Seems a shame as just about every engineer I know would actually want to DO something with the data.  We have about a dozen of the Analog Discovery 2 channel scopes and we use them this way all the time.

Archived