Question

Hi @jpeyron

Kindly see the attached picture.

I have the following clocking options:

MIG_7series/ui_clk :83 MHz

clk_wiz_0/clk_out_1 : 166 MHz

And I want to feed my Pmod DA3 with the desired clocking rate. But I don't know what to choose from these clocks?

So could you help me in choosing the right clock for the two pin of Pmod DA3 ?

Thanks .

PmodDA3.JPG

Posted (edited)

Hi @jpeyron,

According to the selection of 50 MHz as a clock signal for both ext_spi_clk and s_axi_aclk ,  then we have  synchromous clocking for these two signals. 

Then the value of Async_Clk must be set to 0 . But I found in PmodDA3_axi_quad_spi_0_0.xci  the property Async_Clk was set to 1 (not a default value !) on line 83 and 106 .

Looking forward your reply .

Thanks in advance.

Async_Clk.JPG

2b.JPG

Edited by Ahmed Alfadhel

Posted (edited)

Hi @kwilber,

Thank you for your time that you spent to analyze my code and follow up with me my issue.

I thought that the sizeof(Hops_reading) = 32, since it is u32 .

I tried to check that using Print function with Tera Term,

int size_hop;
size_hop = sizeof(Hops_reading);
print(size_hop);

however, I got  'p' on Teram Term  ! 

Why?

Thanks for your support.

Edited by Ahmed Alfadhel

Hi @Ahmed Alfadhel,

I reached out to our content team about the default settings and how to change them for the generic SPI IP Core.

To change the transaction width you will need to edit the DA3 IP in the IP Packager. Once that's open, double clicking on the SPI XCI in the sources pane will open it's customization wizard. The "Transaction Width" drop down can be set to 16 instead of 8. Click OK, merge changes to sources in the IP Packager, then Repackage the IP and close the packager. Update IPs in the host project and carry on as normal with the Pmod IP.

Default settings are in the attached image - They created a default SPI IP using the generator and edited it in IP packager to get this screenshot.

They do not know the effects changing C_NUM_TRANSFER_BITS would have on the drivers. If changes to the drivers are necessary, if changes are need to be made they expect that only the XSpi_Config instance in the Pmod's .c driver file would need to be changed.

They believe that the asynchronous clock setting only really needs to be used when ext_spi_clk is not derived from the same clock source as the axi clock. If the Pmod IP guide is followed, the setting might be able to be disabled just fine, since both clocks will come from the same clocking wizard or MIG. Their best guess is that the main use case for the Async clock is for when the AXI Quad SPI is configured as a slave to a SPI master off of the board - all of the Pmod IPs use master mode SPI. 

thank you,

Jon

default-spi.png

17 hours ago, jpeyron said:

double clicking on the SPI XCI in the sources pane will open it's customization wizard.

Hi @jpeyron,

It seems the .XCI file is locked and cannot be accessed ! See the attached picture.

Looking froward your reply.

Thanks in advance.

PmodDA3_xci.JPG

Hi @Ahmed Alfadhel,

You need to click in reports-> report ip status and upgrade the IP's to unlock the axi_quad_spi so you can alter the transaction width and then re-package the IP. I have included screen shots that should help with the process.

cheers,

Jon

PmodDA3_edit_transaction_width_4.jpg

PmodDA3_edit_transaction_width_2.jpg

PmodDA3_edit_transaction_width_1.jpg

PmodDA3_edit_transaction_width_5.jpg

PmodDA3_edit_transaction_width_3.jpg

Hi @kwilber,

Thank you again for your perfect analyzing of my code.

I made an amendment on the code. I made the the pointer *wData size is u8 again (the original size that I found).

I am now thinking for a substitute  to the parameter sizeof( ) .

Does it possible to pass   1 , since  the pointer *wData is u8 ?

void DA3_WriteSpi(PmodDA3 *InstancePtr, u8 reg, u8 *wData, int nData)
  {
	// As requested by documentation, first byte contains:
	//	bit 7 = 0 because is a write operation
	//	bit 6 = 1 if more than one bytes is written, 0 if a single byte is written
	// 	bits 5-0 - the address
	u8 bytearray[nData+1];
	bytearray[0] = ((nData>1) ? 0x40: 0) | (reg&0x3F);
	memcpy(&bytearray[1],wData, nData);//Copy write commands over to bytearray
	XSpi_Transfer(&InstancePtr->DA3Spi, bytearray, 0, nData+1);

}

Thanks in advance.

Hi @jpeyron

In the attached photo, I am visualizing each of ~CS signal on channel one and ~LDAC on channel two. 

Why ~LDAC is always is 0 ?

According the manual it must be 0 only during ~CS is 1 .

Thanks in advance. 

photo_2019-03-15_00-20-40.jpg

LDAC.JPG

Timing diagram.JPG

Hi @Ahmed Alfadhel,

"According to the manual, it must only be 0 when ~CS is 1" -- this is incorrect.

As you directly highlighted in the image you attached:

Alternatively, users hold the LDAC pin at a logic low voltage when bringing the CS pin high to directly transfer the data from the shift register to the DAC register.

The timing diagram instead shows the situation presented in the previous sentence that discusses pulsing the LDAC rather than holding it low.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @kwilber

I tested your simplified version of DA3_WriteSpi function. But I found part of DIN (Data) signal is under high level of ~CS signal as shown in the second attached picture. Which is meaning part of data signal is unread by the PMOD DA3. 

The first attached picture is showing the measured Analog signal by SMA connector. It is supposed to be 1 kHz sinewave but it is not. Even the shap is still far from regular sinewave. 

Back again to my code, I found the variable Hops_reading is defined as u32. So, I did some changes to my code as follow:

u32 Hops_reading_32;

while(delay_count < 5000000)
  	 		{
  	 			Hops_reading_32 = XIOModule_DiscreteRead(&gpi, 1); // Perform Hop Reading

u16 Hops_reading_16[2];

Hops_reading_16[0] = ((Hops_reading_32 & (0xFFFF0000)) >> 16);
  	 		    Hops_reading_16[1] = (Hops_reading_32 & (0xFFFF));

int i;
  	 		    for (i=0;i<=1;i++)
  	 		    {
  	 			 DA3_WriteSpi(&myDevice, Hops_reading_16[i]);
  	 		    }

delay_count++;
  	 		}

After that I re-debugged again my design, but the main problem of "part of DIN (Data) signal is under high level of ~CS signal" is still existed ! as shown in the third attached picture.

The fourth attached picture is showing the analog output from SMA connector. Also, it is supposed to be  1 kHz sinewave signal. But still far away from the regular sinewave !

I am looking forward your help.

Thanks.

photo_2019-03-19_21-45-55.jpg

1st

photo_2019-03-19_22-28-53.jpg

photo_2019-03-19_22-31-18.jpg

Edited by Ahmed Alfadhel