booting from sd card

Michael P

Question

7 answers to this question

Hi @Michael P,

I split and started a new thread. 

1) Can you be more specific about your project.

2) What FPGA development board. Is it the Nexys Video as the original thread?  

3) Are you compressing the bitstream?

4) Please attach a screen shot of the block design.

thank you,

Jon

It is a big application for video processing over hdmi on Nexys Video. It also contains a Microblaze soft processor which must be programmed from Xilinx SDK.

No, I don't even know ho to compress it. It managed to program the fpga with bistream file on sd, but I haven't managed to program the Microblaze from sd card.

Hi @Michael P,

Here is the Nexys Video reference manual. In section 2.3 USB Host and MicroSD Programming on page 9 it described how to use an sd card to configure the FPGA.

The steps are as follows:

1. Format the storage device (pen drive or microSD card) with a FAT32 file system.
2. Place a single .bit configuration file in the root directory of the storage device.
3. Attach the storage device to the Nexys Video.
4. Set the JP4 Programming Mode jumper on the Nexys Video to "USB/SD".
5. Select the desired storage device using JP3.
6. Push the PROG button or power-cycle the Nexys Video.

thank you,

Jon

Hi!

Thank you for your answer! I think I haven't explained what I want to do very well.

Those steps work for me for uploading the bitstream file and program the fpga. My problem is that I have quite a big project which cannot be integrated in bitstream file and what I my question is how to achieve this.

Hi @Michael P,

I'm still a little confused. Does Vivado give an error when you are attempting to create the bitstream file? In one of your earlier posts you mentioned that you were able to program the FPGA with the bitstream file stored on the SD card and Jon gave some instructions on how to program the SD rather than QSPI for SDK projects, so I'm not certain what you are running into now. How much space does Vivado claim to this project of yours requires?

Thank you,
JColvin

Archived