JTAG STM1 stopped working

eskull

Question

Hello,

We have a Xilinx VC709 FPGA board (Virtex 7), with a JTAG-STM1 interface. The JTAG programmer no longer shows up in either Windows 10 Device Manager, nor does it show up in Vivado (2018.2) Hardware Manager.  

A second VC709 works correctly so it doesn't appear to be driver/SW issue.

Probed the TCK, TMS, TDI pins - all are pulled high (3.3V) showing no activity. 

We had this VC709 installed in to a PCIe slot on a PC, with the JTAG-USB cable connected between the VC709 and a laptop. Is there a clue in this setup, as to how the STM1 might have failed (e.g., ground loop - what would be most likely failure point on STM1)?

The VC709 otherwise appears to work fine - there is a PCIe design in the BPI Flash that loads on power-up and links to host PCIe, as well as flashing status LED's as expected. We just can no longer reprogram FPGA/FLASH. 

Are there any probe points on the STM1 we can check (with DSO) to isolate problem?

Thank you.

4 answers to this question

14 minutes ago, JColvin said:

Hi @eskull,

I have sent you a PM with some more details on this issue since I think the EEPROM on the JTAG SMT1 needs reprogrammed, presuming you have set SW11 to 101.

Thanks,
JColvin

Will give it a try.

However, I do not understand what exactly you meant in the above response:  “presuming you have set SW11 to101”

Do you mean, I need to set SW11 to 101 in order to execute the linked prog app you sent ?

Note that the VC709 UG states to set to 010 (position 3, 4, 5) for BPI access, which is how we want to operate.

Thank you for the help.

Re, ground loops, what I meant by this, the SMT1  UBS port is connected (via USB cable) to an external computer potentially on a separate ground plane than what the VC709/SMT1 is connected to. This could cause a current to flow over the USB cable ground via the dissimilar ground planes. Something we hadn't considered before making this connection. 

Thank you again for  your time and help.

Hi @eskull,

Digilent does not have this board to test for ourselves so I am not certain how the switches on the VC709 adjust and change configuration options, so I suggested the JTAG configuration as a safe option. I do not know if leaving it to be powered on via the BPI flash would change anything, though switching it to JTAG will not hurt.

I suppose with your setup there is a chance that a ground loop could have occurred though Xilinx will better know what sort of potential damage could occur with this board in terms of any grounding issues.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived