Zybo Z7-10 QSPI Flash Programming Mode Broken?

MassiCutug

Question

Hi!

A couple of months ago, I bought a ZYBO Z7-10 board for one of my university labs.

Just recently, I was using the JE PMOD ports to interface with an external LCD display. The board was programmed through QSPI Flash through the micro USB port. Unfortunately, a external 5 volt supply leaked into the 3v3 JE PMOD peripheral when the board was powered through the micro USB port. I immediately turned off the power supply and the ZYBO board once this had happened.

After turning back on the ZYBO with all PMOD connections detached (to test if the board was still functional), the default demo program that the FPGA should run (with flashing all LEDs in a smooth manner) is a very erratic version of what it once was (LEDs flash randomly). While in the QSPI Flash mode (after the incident), I am not able to reprogram my FPGA design as Vivado does not recognize the ZYBO board anymore through the USB connection. When I change the programming mode jumper to either TJAG or MicroSD, Vivado CAN recognize the ZYBO board and I can successfully field-program the board and run the program.

Is it possible that I have permanently damaged the QSPI Flash (or even something worse). If not, is there anything I could do to fix this?

1 answer to this question

Hi @MassiCutug,

Typically, the QSPI mode is intended to configure the QSPI Flash with a BOOT.BIN in SDK(ZYNQ processor) and not configuring the FPGA directly.

I do believe the QSPI mode still allows the FPGA to be configured from the QSPI mode. 

It is an odd behavior that the QSPI Flash OOB demo is configuring the ZYNQ processor but the OOB demo is not quite the same as before. As well as the ZYBO Z7 in not showing up in Vivado with the mode jumper set to QSPI.

1) I would suggest trying to re-configure the OOB demo and see if the board is still exhibiting the same behavior. 

For the ZYBO Z7 OOB demo on the QSPI flash we actually don't load the SPI flash using an MCS file, we copy the needed files using Linux manually. Use the linked package to load the QSPI back to default state.

Place these files on a micro SD card and boot the ZYBO with it. After ~4 minutes, the QSPI will have been programmed with the default image (there will be some terminal output indicating what is going on).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ark7wz4md7s6zod/sdlinux_Zybo.zip?dl=0

2) Also here is an older Zedboard programming tutorial that is usable for the ZYBO-Z7 that describes how to make and configure a ZYNQ processor with a BOOT.BIN file . If you are wanting to add a different project to the QSPI Flash you can.

thank you,

Jon

Archived