ZYBO Z7 LWIP ECHO ETHERNET ISSUE

regnon

Question

Good morning

I went through all post related to the use of LWIP ECHO app for ethernet with bare metal OS on Zybo.

I also made step by step the tutorial Getting Started with Zynq Servers for Zybo… but still could not succeed…

I'm using Vivado 2018.2

I got the following behaviour:

1) In case I manually setup the speed to 1000 (or to 100) in the bsp as requested in the Getting Started with Zynq Server, the zybo is displaying trhough the UART  'Link up and Link down' alternatively, in the same way the PC connected to the ethernet link is alternatively mentioning the cable as disconnected

2) In case I let the automatic detection of the speed active in the bsp, I do not have anymore the display of link down / link up alternatively and the behaviour looks conform up to the step 11 of the tutorial… but then when trying the step 12, Tera term is not able to connect to the Zybo; mentioning:connexion timeout in one of my PC and Connexion refused in an other PC.

I have created static address on a PC.

Therefore I'm stuck and would welcome your advise…

Best regards

Regis Brignon

5 answers to this question

Hi @regnon,

1) What OS is your PC

2) Have you verified that the ethernet cable is working?

3) please attach screen shots of the com port and ethernet connections with a serial terminal like Tera Term or PuTTY.

4) Another way to verify the ethernet would be to load a pre-built verified petalinux platform for the Zybo-Z7.

thank you,

Jon

Jon

Thanks for your feedback

below my answer:

1) I tried with 2 PC, first with windows 10 (result was connection rejected) and second with windows 7 (result was connection timeout)

2) I tried with 2 different internet cable and got same result with the 2 cables

3) for the UART Com, as mentioned if I fix the speed in the bsp, then I have displayed link up then few second after link down, this in a cycle. In case I keep the autodetection of the speed, then the dispay in putty for the  UART is as expected and exactly same that in the tutorial... so seems everything looks ok... but when I try to open tera term on a PC to verify ethernet connection then I get connection not authorized on windows 10 and connection timeout on windows 7...which is not what I expect when seeing the tutorial.

4) I did use in the past a preload of petalinux  on this zybo z7 and ethernet was working well.

BR

Regis

Jon

1) I used 192.168.1.11 and 255.255.255.0 on a PC.

2) I was making further trial using same design and example software with an Arty Z7 and the result seems better as the Arty reply to the "ping" command with the IP 192.168.1.10, where my Zybo Z7 remains unreachable when Ping is executed.

Does the Arty Z7 and the Zybo Z7 share the same ethernet PHY component?

Should I put the Eth0 in the design to the EMIO or to the MIO for the Zybo?

Regis

Hi @regnon,

1) Yes the Arty-Z7 and the Zybo-Z7 use the same Realtek RTL8211E-VL PHY to implement a 10/100/1000 Ethernet port.

2) The digilent board files should be configuring the ethernet correctly. You should not need to alter the default settings(given you are using the Digilent board files). 

3) Are you changing anything in the ZYNQ processor or doing anything different from the getting started with ZYNQ server?

4) Another suggestion would be to try  a different Vivado version like Vivado 2017.4 or Vivado 2016.4. The xxxx.4 version of vivado is typically the most stable and bug free.

thank you,

Jon

Archived