Greetings : still on the fence. Can you push me over please?

richieHH

Question

Firstly I would like to say I am very impressed with what I see in the AD2.

A little about my background: I graduated back in 89 with a degree in EE and Comp Sys Eng. A hybrid of Analog El, Digital El and Comüuert Science- Anyway most those "skills" have  deteriorated I concentrated on a SW role mostly since then.

I am looking to get back into solid state electronics and programmable microcontrollers (add an "etc etc" to that) and to that end have ordered an Arduino kit.  I play the guitar and am interested in creating/building some fx/pedals etc. I'm also interested in being able to have a poke around my PC motherboard.

I like the complete package look of the AD2 : logic analyser,  wave generator, osci etc but its price, with probes, is approaching some the lower level DSOs. I realise of course a lot of the functionality on the AD2 wont come with a low level DSO.

I see the AD2 is not, or does not appear to be, compatible with Sigrok: as a long-term Debian Linux user and FOSS contributor is there any view to enabling this?

I am gussing this fence sitting is a common issue and I would love to hear from those of you who took the plunge and coughed up the not incosiderable sum for the AD2 and why you are happy with it and why you feel a comprehensive FOSS library quite that sigrok provides is not really necessary.

Please help me take the plunge. I keep adding it and then deleting it from the shopping cart.. ;)

3 answers to this question

Maybe you want to re-think Arduino, with a professional technical background. It may be that a Raspberry Pi with the "wiring" library is more useful long term.

Just as a note, the guitar FX is a surprisingly challenging project, if it's supposed to be borderline useful. E.g. "aliasing" - you bend a note up and half of the little monkeys in your sound bend down at the same time. It gets tiring :)

Hi @richieHH,

I've moved your thread (but also left the link in the new users introduction area) to the Scopes and Instruments section of the forum so that you can hopefully get some more specific feedback from those users. I personally haven't heard of any Sigrok integration for the Analog Discovery though.

I'm clearly a Digilent employee so take my feedback with a grain of salt, but I like to think that one of the main reasons people appreciate the WaveForms software is that they get to talk directly with the developer of the WaveForms software who provides frequent updates based on user feedback and requests (as seen here: https://forum.digilentinc.com/topic/8908-waveforms-beta-download/)

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @richieHH

The device is not support supported by sigrok.
I have seen some development, they try to reverse engineer the USB communication, which is kind of mission impossible... they should better use WaveForms SDK to add support.

You can try the WaveForms application in demo mode. You might be interested in the Network Analyzer for audio, Impedance Analyzer...
This also installs the SDK for custom applications/scripts.
https://analogdiscovery.com/download/
https://forum.digilentinc.com/topic/8908-waveforms-beta-download/

Archived