Pmod OLED displaying graphics

PureL

Question

Hello,

I have a PmodOLED connected to Nexys 3 board and so far I was able to display ASCII characters by using either the VHDL example code provided by Digilent or the code from Mr. Y.Borrnat from here.

I would like to display bitmap graphics. Could you guide me a little? Is it possible to do that by altering one of the codes mentioned? 

PS: I found a video unfortunatelly without any comments, so I mean something like that or draw a chart perhaps. Thank you.

4 answers to this question

Hi @PureL,

We have Verilog and VHDL Pmod OLED project for the Nexys 3 on the Pmod OLED resource center here the PDF for the project PmodOLED IInterface Reference
Project describes how they made the coe files. This might be helpful for making your own bitmap. The zedboard and Nexys Video also have the same OLED on board. Here is the zedboard project for the OLED. I would try this project and see if the project displays anything else besides text.  I know that this instructable draws impedance on the Pmod OLED but might not be helpful since the project uses Vivado/SDK and IP Core.

thank you,

Jon 

Hello,

Nexys 3 being a Spartan®-6  FPGA board is not recognised by Vivado. So you should focus to the ISE related materials from Pmod OLED resource center page:

Nexys 3 Verilog Example - ISE 14.2

Nexys 3 VHDL Example - ISE 14.2

Still, here is an answer to your question:

Unfortunately the information from Readme.md file for the Vivado project is not right. We aplologize for this.

You should download the release Zedboard-OLED-2016.4-1.zip (click on "1 release"). 

In order to create the project, you should run in vivado the create_project.tcl script (after changing directory to proj).

Good luck.

Hi @PureL,

I apologize that i neglected to say that the Zedboards HDL/coe files are also in a Vivado project. The difference between the instructable and the zedboard oled demo is the the zedboard oled demo is done in HDL and should be able to better help you with your project since HDL works with both Vivado and ISE.   I have also contacted our content team to add the updated 2018.2 project. Sorry for any confusion.

cheers,

Jon

Archived