Stepper Motor control with the Digilent Motor adaptor board and control using labview not working

Julia Elkouby

Question

I'm working on a university project and I've programmed the stepper motor on LabVIEW and am using the digilent motor adaptor but the signal leaving it doesn't seem to be right even though the labview control is correct in the signal that it's giving it. It can run up to 30rpm but then it stops and doesn't run. I have run out of ideas and think the error must be generated from the connections in the motor adaptor but I have no idea why as the connections seem simple enough. Has anyone done it before and have a ready made program for it. This is the program I am using at the moment. 

Main.vi

4 answers to this question

Hi @Julia Elkouby,

I apologize for the delay. I don't have express VIs that you do so I am not able to test your setup myself, but I suppose it looks okay? The folks over at the NI forum would be better able to evaluate your VI setup.

Otherwise, I know that stepper motors do have diminishing returns with regards to speed since you need fast slew rates (in both directions) so that both sets of coils aren't simultaneously "running" otherwise the motor will not rotate. I wasn't able to find any specific details for your stepper motor that you are using with regards to this, but since the motor adapter board (and myRIO) are only 5V outputs and the motor itself uses 1.8 deg steps so your rotation speed will be limited, though I would expect higher than 30 rpm.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived