connection of WF32 and NI USB 6008 via USB

Pönisch

Question

Hello,

View month ago I bought Chipkit WF32 and National Instruments USB6008. I use Labview Maker Hub for programming. Now I want to combine both, WF32 and USB6008 via USB-Port of WF32. I wanted to use the USB as Host and connectet the WF32 to external power supply. I also connected JP9 and JP11 (both) with shorting blocks. The WF32 was also connected to the wlan to comunicate with my lapttop.

But it didn't work. Normally the Power LED of USB6008 is running after connection with my laptop. After conne tion with WF32 there isn't any reaktion of the USB6008. I read that there a usb libraries for using mpide but I want to use LabView at first.

Is there a possibillity to run the USB6008 via the ChipKit WF32 in combination with wlan and LabView Home?

Regards, Christoph

5 answers to this question

Hi Christoph,

I don't know for certain if it will work since I don't know if the LabVIEW MakerHub LINX supports running the WF32 as a host (and I personally haven't attempted to tackle using the WF32 as a USB host), but I do have a couple of clarification questions.

How are the jumper blocks on JP9 and JP11 oriented? I know by default the WF32 ships with them in the incorrect configuration, so they need to be oriented so that JP9 connects to "AB" and JP11 connects to "A". See the image in the forum photo gallery here.

Also, what sort of power does your external power supply provide? I want to make sure it provides enough current to run both modules.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi,

i add the pictures of the Adapter and the jumper Blocks. As i read in the Manuale i had to connect position A, but I also can try position AB... Didnt work yet.

The adapter provides 5V and 4A. I also bought it together whith the parts kit.

Is the power enough?

Regards, Christoph

2.jpg

1.jpg

Hi Christoph, 

I apologize for taking awhile to get back to you. That should be plenty of power for the two boards. I looked up the User Guide for NI's USB6008 and saw that the green LED by the USB port on it has three conditions that it indicates (on page 7/8)- not connected, connected but not initialized, or operating normally. If you're not getting any reaction from the LED and it's not turning on at all, to me that means it's either not receiving power from the WF32 USB OTG port or not getting enough power. 

Either way though, it also seems from that same document you need to have the USB6008 connected to a computer with NI-DAQmx installed to have it work properly--I'm almost positive that you would not be able to have that needed communication be able to pass through or be loaded onto the WF32, so I'm thinking it will not be possible to run the USB6008 from a WF32. You certainly could have the two devices connected to your computer through different USB ports, but that isn't quite the same.

Good luck!

~JColvin

Oh, on a slightly related side note, you would also need to change the WF32 jumpers on J16 to have VU directly connected to 5V0 with no other jumpers. The reason for this is because you are already using a 5V external power supply, so we don't want to try to regulate the power through a 5V regulator--otherwise the PIC32 chip may not receive enough voltage to work properly and you will be putting a lot of stress on the 5V regulator.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi,

I changed J16 but still no power at all. I think the connection of wf32 and 6008 is not the solution for my applikation. I will try it with a computer which is connected to the network. I will use the computer as a host and try to read the usb-port were the usb6008 is connected.

Thank you for supporting me.

Regards, Christoph

Archived