Digital Twin

Kris Persyn

Question

Hey,

For a quite challenging project I am planning on using a zybo z7-20 to drive immersive visuals on a HDMI display (probably this monitor Lenovo L27i-28). Simultaneously I would want to collect sensor data through digital pins (digital signals are provided by an external uP) and also interface with matlab (used for speech recognition) via USB. My question thus is: Is this baby powerful enough to deal with all this load?

Kg,

Kris

3 answers to this question

Hi @Kris Persyn,

It depends on how you manage your resources, driving immersive visuals on a HDMI display can be done in multiple ways at different resolutions, some are PL taxing others are DDR taxing; you could generate entire frame buffers in PL or PS or you could find a optimal algorithm to change just the previous frame or you could allocate a high number of frame buffers and then run them in a loop.

It also depends on how math lab synthesizes the IP you will need to add to your design.

If you design your project properly and don't aim for a resolution higher more 720p( I'm being conservative, we managed to drive the HDMI at 1080p with processing filters without a problem)  I think it should be enough for what you want to do, resource wise.

My suggestion, download and install Vivado, download and install the board files, create and implement your project look at the resource consumption and then buy a board.

- Ciprian

@jpeyron Thank you!

Hi @Ciprian,

Thanks for the advice about the visuals. I hope to make some substantial progression the coming weeks and show some pictures.

About Matlab, on the top of your head, are you convinced about Matlab's integrability with a Zybo over USB/UART. Serials data should consist of basic digital ones and zeros (I will probably define some protocol overhead in order to reduce datastream complexity).

Ps: I have previous experience with (Zybo z7-10) driving a small display (472*282), while simultaneously processing touchscreen input and running algorithms in the back that define logic. Another project I worked on during my master's degree consisted of designing a robust PID controller for a hard drive. This is probably basic stuff for most of you, but just so you know my capability concerning VHDL/FPGA.

Thanks in advance,

Kg

Archived