Vivado Bitstream Generation

Hunaina

Question

Hello,

I have been working on a benchmark code of AES128 for few days. When I import the project in  vivado, synthesis and implementation run fine, but when i generate bitstream, i get error in implementation. I am using zedboard xc7z020clg484-1

I get the following error in my log.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finished Writing Synthesis Report : Time (s): cpu = 00:00:32 ; elapsed = 00:00:34 . Memory (MB): peak = 1819.996 ; gain = 352.055 ; free physical = 75883 ; free virtual = 95116
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Synthesis finished with 0 errors, 0 critical warnings and 4 warnings.
Synthesis Optimization Runtime : Time (s): cpu = 00:00:32 ; elapsed = 00:00:34 . Memory (MB): peak = 1819.996 ; gain = 352.055 ; free physical = 75886 ; free virtual = 95119
Synthesis Optimization Complete : Time (s): cpu = 00:00:32 ; elapsed = 00:00:34 . Memory (MB): peak = 1820.000 ; gain = 352.055 ; free physical = 75897 ; free virtual = 95130
INFO: [Project 1-571] Translating synthesized netlist
INFO: [Netlist 29-17] Analyzing 8 Unisim elements for replacement
INFO: [Netlist 29-28] Unisim Transformation completed in 0 CPU seconds
INFO: [Project 1-570] Preparing netlist for logic optimization
INFO: [Opt 31-138] Pushed 0 inverter(s) to 0 load pin(s).
Netlist sorting complete. Time (s): cpu = 00:00:00 ; elapsed = 00:00:00.01 . Memory (MB): peak = 1894.148 ; gain = 0.000 ; free physical = 75796 ; free virtual = 95029
INFO: [Project 1-111] Unisim Transformation Summary:
No Unisim elements were transformed.

INFO: [Common 17-83] Releasing license: Synthesis
70 Infos, 4 Warnings, 0 Critical Warnings and 0 Errors encountered.
synth_design completed successfully
synth_design: Time (s): cpu = 00:00:37 ; elapsed = 00:00:40 . Memory (MB): peak = 1894.148 ; gain = 426.207 ; free physical = 75847 ; free virtual = 95080
Netlist sorting complete. Time (s): cpu = 00:00:00 ; elapsed = 00:00:00 . Memory (MB): peak = 1894.148 ; gain = 0.000 ; free physical = 75847 ; free virtual = 95080
WARNING: [Constraints 18-5210] No constraints selected for write.
Resolution: This message can indicate that there are no constraints for the design, or it can indicate that the used_in flags are set such that the constraints are ignored. This later case is used when running synth_design to not write synthesis constraints to the resulting checkpoint. Instead, project constraints are read when the synthesized design is opened.
INFO: [Common 17-1381] The checkpoint '/home/s2256800/AES128/AES128.runs/synth_1/aes_ip.dcp' has been generated.
INFO: [runtcl-4] Executing : report_utilization -file aes_ip_utilization_synth.rpt -pb aes_ip_utilization_synth.pb
INFO: [Common 17-206] Exiting Vivado at Fri Feb 15 11:50:46 2019...

Please help me where i got wrong. Thanks in advance.

14 answers to this question

There isn't much useful information in what you show above.

To get started did you look at the post place and route resource utilization? If you don't assign inputs and outputs to pins everything will be optimized away. Even if your project doesn't have a constraints file to define FPGA pin signal locations the tool will assign pins as best it see fit. ISE and Vivado aren't too bad with regard to optimization but for the past few years Quartus has been giving me fits by removing large swaths of my design because it's decided that no output pins have any associations. You mention that you imported the project into Vivado. What exactly did you import?

Thank you for your reply. I got the benchmark code from this link https://opencores.org/projects/apbtoaes128, they have used a different FPGA board (sparten 3e xc3s500e-4ft256) for the project but I am using zedboard part number xc7z020clg4841 for my project. The problem is, whenever i try to synthesize and implement the code in vivado, it show no errors, But when i generate bitstream, several errors occur in implementation stage as shown in the last post. After searching through net, i concluded that my xdc or constraint file is missing but as you said that vivado optimizes the pins even if it is missing then it is again an issue for me. I think the problem is with clocking or pin selection but I am unable to correct it. Would really appreciate some guidelines. 

There should be no problem porting HDL-only sources to different tools; like ISE, Vivado, Quartus, etc.  The first thing to do is create a bitstream for the original device using the original source. If you can't get the original project to work then there isn't much hope for modified versions. There's more than source code to a viable project.

When you change the device target, as you are doing, then it's likely that resources being used in the original project are different in your new project. Even if the resources are similar things like BRAM, clock managers or PLLs and the like will usually require recreation by the tools.

I've tried out many an opencore project or code snippet. I always (try to) recreate the original claims for the IP as a first step. I then spend the time going through the code to understand how it works. While I often see novel approaches to problems rarely do I find anything that I want to use 'as-is'.

I'm guessing that you are new to this, Yes? 

@zygot Thank you for your reply. You are right i am new to it. As you said that one should first try to recreate the project and verify results, i tried to do the same. But the problem was that i could not select the same board that was used in thr project, as it is a very old board and in vivado, the option was not given to select that one. 

It is always wise to reproduce results and move forward, i had no choice but to choose a new board and start. Porting HDL sources is not an issue, trying to see the bitstream of an old version and new is an issue.

@Hunaina

You don't need a board with the correct target device to generate a bitstream. Once you have that success you can use the reports from the tools to compare to your new version or project. It's easier to build on something that worked, even if you can't test it in actual hardware.

If you are coming from a software development background prepare to be shocked... FPGA development is a whole lot more complicated.

I should mention that the Zynq is a whole different (more complicated) deal than regular FPGA devices. The Zynq has an ARM that has to be tied off if not being used. You can find information about this on the internet. The tool flow is more complicated.

I suggest that you target a different board/device once you've had success creating a configuration bitstream from the original sources. Don't worry the objective isn't to run your code in hardware yet. As much as I like the FPGA devices with a hard ARM processor core subsystem I would never recommend using that platform for beginners to FPGA development. Even if I assume that someone has some knowledge and skill with an HDL a lot of the battle involves getting to understand the tools ( a particular version of the tools ). Find a cheap plain old FPGA board to figure all of this out using only HDL sources. I use HDL only until I absolutely have to have a programmable processor and then turn to my ARM based devices.

Back in the days design tools involved pencils, quadril paper, and lot's of cranial heating. The software based tools weren't perfect but they were generally reliable once you figured out their peccadilloes. In this century doing anything useful involves a little mental preparation, some skill and ingenuity and wrestling with belligerent tools that change with every version release and bugs that come and go. Fighting the tools can be 60% or your effort. Don't add complications that aren't necessary.

To paraphrase a quote from Einstein: "Everything should be as simple as possible; but no simpler". This advice works on every level of human endeavor.

Hi, I have generated the bitstream successfully and now going to test it on actual board. Thank you for your help @zygot and @jpeyron I have one more query to resolve if you may please guide me a little. While running the simulations, i have encountered few errors. It says:                                                                                                                                                                                [XSIM 43-4287] "/Testbench/aes_tb_vpi.v" Line 126. Undefined system task '$init', I have tried to solve this error using include file search options but i am unable to resolve it. There are several more errors of same type as well. I have also tried to define this task separately but till now no success. I would appreciate any guideline on it. Thanks in advance.    

Hi @Hunaina,

Have you tried reaching out to the two people maintaining the project here or here for more information about their Test Bench? The Test Bench may have initially be referring to function "int init_calltf(char*user_data)" in aes_init.h  and the function "init_reset_calltf(char*user_data)" in aes_init_reset.h. Might try changing the $init to $init_calltf("probably a global Char *");  and init_reset_calltf("probably a global Char *");

thank you,

Jon

Hi, 

its me again with a new issue :( I tried to do all the previously discussed steps and i successfully generated the bit stream. I verified everything using simulations and then implemented the design to generate bitstream. After that i moved to hardware implementation. I am using Zedboard to implement my algorithm and vivado standalone programmer 2018.3 for programming. Whenever i try to program my device, i fail. I get the following error:

Labtools-27-3165-End-of-startup-status-LOW

hardware shutdown

In order to solve this issue, i tried many steps like reinstalling the drivers, changing the USB cable etc. I also wrote simple programs like NAND gate just to make sure if my board is working fine or not. I was able to program the board successfully (NAND gate implementation) but not the actual AES128 which i intend to implement. Any help in this regard will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

yes, i have already tried all the steps, i have checked the device on all the frequencies given (reduction of cable speed) but i could not succeed. My .xdc file also has IOSTANDARD and PACKAGE_PIN assigned to all the pins but still it did not help me program by device without error. Can you please suggest me anything else that i might be doing wrong?

Hi @Hunaina,

Here is a xilinx forum thread that discusses the Error Labtools 27 3165 End of startup status LOW.

They state that "There are two reasons that the voltage could drop, first that it exceeds the capacity of the supply, and second that the sudden increase in current causes the supply to dip briefly and there is not enough bulk bypass capacitance to hold the voltage above the minimum required to retain configuration." 

1) What is the spec's for your wal- wart you are using to power the Zedboard?

thank you,

Jon

Archived