Open Logger initial firmware update failed.

Just received my Open Logger.  Installed the Digilent Agent on a Windows 10 machine and started Waveforms Live. It connected to the open logger and progressed as far as the firmware update. The update seemed to be going well but also seemed to hangup at the end. I just left it and after several more minutes the 'firmware update failed' message appeared. now the Open Logger cannot be opened. It does appear that it is seen by the agent and Waveforms Live. I reinstalled both and it did discover the Open Logger with its serial number when plugged into the usb port, but still cannot open it.

I'm looking for some advice as how to proceeed. Tnx.

Hi @Scooby,

It sounds like the .hex file may have been corrupted when it downloaded due to a network issue, or when transfering the file via USB. If you are using a USB hub, we require that you use a USB 2.0 high-speed hub. While updating firmware will usually work with a full-speed hub, we have encountered issues when using full-speed.

You will need to run through the Corrupt Firmware Recovery flow to fix the issue. You may want to downloaded the firmware .hex from the resource page, underneath Firmware on the right. If you decide to download the hex from the resource page, when you get to selecting the version of firmware you'd like to flash, select Other and then Browser to select the .hex you downloaded earlier and continue following the guide. 

Let us know whether you were successful or whether we need to work with you further on troubleshooting this issue.

Same experience here. Further, I tried several versions via the dropdown menu, and I also tried to install from a manually downloaded copy of the file:

OpenLoggerMZ-0.1653.0.hex

I initially tried on Arch Linux, and then also tried the firmware update on Ubuntu 18.04 using the digilent-agent Debian package.

The OpenLogger seems to be "bricked" Is there a "factory reset" magic sequence other than the instructions for getting it into "bootloader mode"?

Thanks!

No success here. Only get to Step 7. Click Open in the How to Recover an OpenLogger with Corrupt Firmware.  Still cannot connect to device. I do get the blinking red LED for bootloader mode. I also reinstalled all software on laptop. Still need a bit more help. Tnx

Hi @dklann,

At this moment the OpenLogger is only supported on Windows. Some effort needs to be put into getting the Agent working on Mac & Linux.

@Scooby,

Is it possible for you to capture the serial output of your OpenLogger during boot? If you use something like TeraTerm or PuTTY, you can see the OpenLogger's serial port output as it boots which can provide some troubleshooting information. When setting up the session, you'll want to specify a speed of 1.25 MBaud. Once the session has established, hit P32 RST near the radio module and observe the output in the terminal. If you can include a screenshot or textual representation of the output in your response we can proceed troubleshooting your issue.

AndrewHolzer

Hey @AndrewHolzer, thanks for confirming non-support for Linux.

However! For the benefit of other intrepid Linux users, I was able to complete the firmware update by following the instructions, and and explicitly choosing device ttyUSB1 in the "Selected Device" dropdown menu. I've proceeded on to calibration...

@Scooby,

When you say boot mode I take it you mean bootloader mode? You won't see any output over the serial terminal when you enter bootloader mode. You should connect your open logger up to your computer and establish a terminal session. The first image I've included has the settings I use in PuTTY. Once you've established a session, press just the reset button (P32 RST). After the OpenLogger powers on and initializes itself, you should see some text similar to whats in the second image I've attached. If you don't see any output, try mashing some keys and observe LD6 on the OpenLogger. It should be flashing as you type. 

Let me know how this turns out.

image.pngimage.png

@Scooby,
It doesn't seem like your board is bricked and can still be recovered. I want you to try the recovery process one more time. Before you do, exit the Agent in the task bar and check to Task Manager to be sure the process has exited. Once it has, spin up a new instance of the Digilent Agent before proceeding. If you are able, try running through the process on a different computer, so that we can be sure that the real issue isn't with what you're currently using.
At this point, check the Device Manager, and underneath Ports you should see which COM port the OpenLogger is on. When you get to step 6, select this COM port instead of the Digilent OpenLogger MZ entry. I also ran through the recovery sequence myself once more, and found that clicking Open while the OpenLogger is in bootloader mode will show the 'Unable to Communicate with Device' popup message, but you can proceed to the next step and click Load Firmware. When you do so, the selected device will be Other, and you'll need to upload the firmware hex yourself. If you visit this link you'll download the latest OpenLogger firmware. Click Browse, navigate to where the hex file was downloaded and select it. Status should say 'Ready to upload "OpenLoggerMZ-0.1619.0.hex". File size is 1892510 bytes". Once you are good and ready, click Flash Selected Firmware and the flashing process should begin. 

Let me know if this works for you. I also want to thank you for your patience while we work through this issue together. I certainly appreciate it.

AndrewHolzer

Up and running, hosted and stand alone.

Started with a fresh computer.  Followed your instructions to select the com port and loaded the firmware from the hex file. All worked well.

Went back to my computer and the logger is working there also.  I really don't know what the issue was but I thank you very much Andrew for your advice and patience too.

I have been using an Analog Discovery (original) almost since it came out.  Digilent is a fine company with many great products. Keep it up!

Thanks again, John

Archived