Analog Discovery 2 - not turning on, not recognized in device manager

Spencer_c

Question

Hello,

I bought my Analog Discovery 2 at my university's bookstore about a year ago. I used it up until 2 months ago; until now, it has been sitting out in a secluded area. Nothing could have happened to it. It doesn't power on when connected to the wall, my computer, or any other computer. I've tried multiple cables. It also does not show up in the device manager. Based on other peoples' posts about this same issue, it seems that my board is dead. Is there any way I can go about getting it replaced? I'm not sure how the warranty works since I bought it at the bookstore. Any pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Spencer

3 answers to this question

On 2/8/2019 at 12:02 AM, Spencer_c said:

Hello,

I bought my Analog Discovery 2 at my university's bookstore about a year ago. I used it up until 2 months ago; until now, it has been sitting out in a secluded area. Nothing could have happened to it. It doesn't power on when connected to the wall, my computer, or any other computer. I've tried multiple cables. It also does not show up in the device manager. Based on other peoples' posts about this same issue, it seems that my board is dead. Is there any way I can go about getting it replaced? I'm not sure how the warranty works since I bought it at the bookstore. Any pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Spencer

I have absolutely the same problem. After a couple of months of inactivity, the device is not powering up and, off course, is not recognized on any computer. USB cables were swapped. Different USB ports were tried on different PCs. The device is DEAD. The sad thing is I bought two additions to this unreliable hardware. Now the project at work is on halt.

Hi @Nikolai 

I don't think the device gets damaged by sitting on the shelf. Eventually it could be a cold solder, like on the USB plug.

Please try using other USB cables. The male plastic housing may stop it plugging it fully. The micro USB cables are prone to wear out or to work with one device but not with another one... Plugging the cable reversely (it is very hard to do with AD2) can break the internal contact piece.

I have seen devices damaged by:
- high USB hub voltage, above 6.5V
- connecting the device ground to external supply output or high voltage
- connecting the AWG output to high voltage

For warranty and replacement please contact support at digilentinc dot com specifying the Date of Purchase, Seller and Purchase Order/ Web order Number.

Otherwise here you have some troubleshooting posts:

Archived