Amin

Zybo Z7-20 Petalinux 2018.3/Any linux Installation

Question

Can someone guide me how to get Petalinux working on Zybo Z7-20?

I am using Vivado and SDK 2018.3 on Windows 10. I prefer using prebuilt images and files if they are available.

I found this link, but it seems it is very old, and I am not sure if I can use it on my version of Vivado and SDK:

https://github.com/Digilent/Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-20

The Xilinx links for Petalinux are available here:

https://www.xilinx.com/support/download/index.html/content/xilinx/en/downloadNav/embedded-design-tools.html

If there exists any other easy method for installing any type of Linux please help me.

Edited by Amin

6 answers to this question

Hi @Amin,

Inside `image.zip` you will find necessary files to obtain a micro SD card with a persistent rootfs .

sha1sum: 228ec31bbfaf465310c1894983964a5fa33cc668  image.zip

To prepare it please follow instructions found here  https://github.com/Digilent/Petalinux-Zybo-Z7-20#note-if-you-wish-to-change-back-to-initramfs-in-the-future-you-will-need-to-undo-this-change-to-the-bootargs-line staring from "Format an SD card.." paragraph.

`z7-20.img.zip` is an image of a 2G disk it can be written to the micro SD card  directly however the rootfs partition needs to be resized if additional space is needed.

If you want more control over the rootfs please consider installing petalinux.

image.zip

z7-20.img.zip

Hi @Amin,

I know our content team is planning on updating our Petalinux projects. We currently do not have an ETA for this. Here is the Petalinux Support for Digilent Boards table that shows what Petalinux projects we have for our development boards and has a link to them as well. To use our most recent Petalinux release for the Zybo-Z7-20  I would suggest to download Vivado/SDK and Petalinux 2017.4. I would also suggest reading the Petalinux projects detailed readme as well.

thank you,

Jon

Hi @Amin,

It depends on what you are planning to do. If you only need a Linux running on your Zybo Z7-20, then I can give you our pre-build BOOT.bin, kernel+rootfs images. This approach is based on our Demo HW platform, you will have the benefit of a lot of IPs in the design which allows a very versatile approach to the board, unfortunately this will not allow you to add any new IP to the design.

If you want to build you own platform and base the on board Linux on it then you will need to install petalinux on linux(I recommend Ubuntu) and build/customize it the way you want, @jpeyron sent you the links for this in the previous post.

-Ciprian

2 minutes ago, jpeyron said:

Hi @Amin,

I know our content team is planning on updating our Petalinux projects. We currently do not have an ETA for this. Here is the Petalinux Support for Digilent Boards table that shows what Petalinux projects we have for our development boards and has a link to them as well. To use our most recent Petalinux release for the Zybo-Z7-20  I would suggest to download Vivado/SDK and Petalinux 2017.4. I would also suggest reading the Petalinux projects detailed readme as well.

thank you,

Jon

Can I install Petalinux/any Linux using Windows?

Edited by Amin

Hi @Amin,

I believe you need to use the Petalinux in a linux environment. Here is the download page for Petalinux. You should be able to use a VM or dual boot with Windows. 

thank you,

Jon

6 hours ago, Ciprian said:

Hi @Amin,

It depends on what you are planning to do. If you only need a Linux running on your Zybo Z7-20, then I can give you our pre-build BOOT.bin, kernel+rootfs images. This approach is based on our Demo HW platform, you will have the benefit of a lot of IPs in the design which allows a very versatile approach to the board, unfortunately this will not allow you to add any new IP to the design.

If you want to build you own platform and base the on board Linux on it then you will need to install petalinux on linux(I recommend Ubuntu) and build/customize it the way you want, @jpeyron sent you the links for this in the previous post.

-Ciprian

I just need to run a Linux on PS, because I want to use a library prebuilt for Linux in my code running on the ARM processor. Would you please give me prebuilt files you are talking about.

I think I can use the Linux installing section of this guide (step 2), which is for Zybo (https://reference.digilentinc.com/learn/programmable-logic/tutorials/zybo-zybot-guide/start) with your files for Zybo Z7-20

https://github.com/ARM-software/ComputeLibrary They used Linux armv7a: gcc-linaro-4.9-2016.02-x86_64_arm-linux-gnueabihf  toolchain for building the binaries.

Edited by Amin