PMODi2S2 vs Basys MX3

dangaucher

Question

Hi

I've been looking at the possibility to connect the PMODi2S2 to a basys mx3 board. Am I correct to say that it is impossible since the pin-out of SPI2 (pmodA) is incompatible with that of the pmodI2S2? If so, that'd be nice to have some AD DA stuff that connects to other boards besides FPGA. What do you think. I'd like to use the Basys MX3 to teach dsp with a nice codec. That may not be possible at the moment using ready made excellent digilent material. (AD1 or AD2 are not options either to my understanding).

Daniel G.

University of SHerbrooke

1 answer to this question

Hello,

There is no need for SPI in communication with Pmodi2S2.

Indeed, PmodA pins of BasysMX3 can be configured as SPI2. But its pins can be also configured as general IO pins, so it could be possible to implement an IO driven communication over I2S protocol.

Still, I consider that this is not feasible under decent quality, because:

- Unlike FPGA boards (which are the main target for PmodI2S2), the BasysMX3 board being a microcontroller board cannot provide high frequencies needed for MCLK.

- The MCLK and SCLK should be exact clocks (having a certain division factor), which is hard to achieve on BasysMX3 board.

If you still want to try to use the Pmodi2S2 maybe you should consider using a FPGA board and look at the example posted on Digilent website: Pmod I2S2 FPGA Volume Control Demo.

Archived