How to properly share DDR memory between two cores of Arty

Mahdi

Question

Hello,

I am wondering what is the best way to share a big chunk of memory between two cores of Arty-Z7-10? Note that I have already gone through the XAPP1079 of Xilinx, however this tutorial does not really share the DDR memory between two cores. It only uses OCM to share a semaphore between two cores, so two cores can share the terminal.

To give you more detail on what my goal is: I want to read a big chunk of data (something in oder of 15 - 30 MB) on CPU#0 and put that into DDR memory, and then let the CPU#1 know when I am done via a flag (which I know how to do with OCM). Following this, I want CPU#1 to access the data that CPU#0 put in DDR and write it to the SD card, while CPU#0 starts to read the 2nd chunk of data. To do this, it is clear that I need to modify the ldscript of two cores, so they share part of the memory. I wonder if anyone has done such kind of thing before and have any suggestion?

Regards,

Mahdi

5 answers to this question

Hi @kwilber

Using Linux to multi thread my application is similar to the behavior I am trying to duplicate with my bare-metal application, but I am worried the overhead of full Linux OS will cause more problems with meeting my data throughput requirements. If it is possible to share memory between Linux and a bare-metal application and has been done already, why is it so difficult to do it with two bare-metal application? I just do not find a useful tutorial on how to do this.

Mahdi

Hi @Mahdi,

I found a few xilinx forum thread here, here and a tutorial here. This tutorial says that it shows how to create an IP with a master full AXI4 interface used to read and write from the Programmable Logic (PL) to the On-Chip Memory (OCM) of the Processing System (PS) using the zynq S_AXI_HP0 slave interface.

thank you,

Jon

Archived