Mehdim

How to use Audio on Zybo board

Question

Hello guys;

Can you refer me to a quick guide about how to use Audio signal on ZYbo board?

I just want to know if there is any simple tutorial about how to get data from audio jack and have in on Arm side.

Appreciate your comments in advance.

Sam,

You have been very patient and extremely helpful. Thanks a lot. Got it! I had to record and listen!! But I'm able to hear only on left earphone..not on the right channel.

Edited by Axe

Weird my project seems to be playing in both earphones when I record music from my computer into the line in port and play it out. A couple things to check though.

Is your input audio stereo?

If you are using the mic input that is only mono

Edited by sLowe
clarification

I'm feeding music through my iPhone using an Auxillary cable. It is definitely stereo. I shall try feeding music through computer and check! and yes I am recording through LINE IN port only and not through MIC. I will also try it out on a different Zybo board just in case! I will get back to you by tomorrow.

Hi Sam, 

It seems there is some issue with the headphones jack. If I insert the earphones fully inside the jack, contrary to what is expected, music is heard only on 1 channel. If I insert the earphones halfway through the jacks, then I can hear the playback on both left and right channels of the earphones. The behaviour is same in both the Zybo boards that I checked. Thanks for all your help.  

Can you try to find some audio that you can tell left from right? I fear that you are just contacting both channels of your headphones to only one channel of the headphone jack.

I'm betting the problem is something in the codec writes or the I2S stream. Do you go through the same writes that I did above? I also wrote the 8th bit of regs 2 and 3 to 0 when I tested it.

Edited by sLowe
extra reg writes

Hi Sam,

In the fnAudioPlay when I enable the streaming from memory to slave interface I hear a loud click in the earphones. 

Inside a while cycle I tried to acquire 4 samples from line-in and pass those 4 samples at that function. When this click comes out at every function call it produces annoying noise and overcomes the sound.

Do you know something about that? What do you suggest me to do if I want to pass a continuous streaming data (eg. a FIFO) to the I2S interface?

Thanks a lot!!

Try making your dma burst size smaller in the hardware design. That mostly got rid of that nasty static in fnAudioPlay for me. I think this is caused by the Zynq axi bus not being at the same version as the PL AXI bus. 

I'm looking for more info about data-word length used /transmitted by SSM2603 codec in record or playback mode when I setup input from MIC in which mono mode is used acccording datasheet, then saved data is only a channel data or the same data for both channels?

In my case I want to use the codec to sample at 96kHz with MIC input, what kind of data I must obtain if I setup for 16 bits in R7?

Thanks in advance.

16 hours ago, josan said:

I'm looking for more info about data-word length used /transmitted by SSM2603 codec in record or playback mode when I setup input from MIC in which mono mode is used acccording datasheet, then saved data is only a channel data or the same data for both channels?

In my case I want to use the codec to sample at 96kHz with MIC input, what kind of data I must obtain if I setup for 16 bits in R7?

Thanks in advance.

15 hours ago, D@n said:

Have you looked through the SSM2603 spec yet?  The front page of the spec suggests that the core should be able to generate 24'bit audio.

Dan

Of course Mr.Dan, but the digital I/F allows select different data-word lengths by register 0x07 D3D2 field WL[1:0] (pp.25). Also monaural input from michrophone is allowed, and the specs are not clear about sampling in this case for ADC routing and results.