Zybo-Z7 Serial Port not working

rmd91

Question

Hello,

I've been to set up a new Zybo board but I'm stuck with a serial port issue. I built my design with the provided board files in Vivado 2017.4. I tried a simple "hello world" in SDK but only got a bunch of unprintable characters. I have Tera Term set up for 115200, 8-bit, 1 stop, no parity. I tried Putty as well and had the same results. I verified the Vivado project is using UART1 MIO48..49.

I intermittently can get the correct initialization message from the preloaded QSPI image, but most times it's unprintable characters.

I also tried the pre-built Linux from the 2017.4 Zybo Petalinux BSP with the same result. It's definitely booting, but the terminal output is unprintable characters.

Other things to note:

* I'm running off USB power. I'm plugged directly into my laptop

* Sometimes pressing the Reset button makes the PGOOD LED flicker until power cycled

Thank you

Richard

12 answers to this question

Hi @theUltimateSource,

Yes, I'm on Windows. I can try external power.

It's possible I have the wrong board. The box says "Zybo Z7 Zynq-7010 Development Board." Since the onboard demo kinda works, but my builds and Petalinux builds don't, a board mix-up would make sense. 

I'm using the B.3 board from the board files I unpacked. It's just labeled as "Zybo" with a part "xc7z010clg400-1." Am I correct in thinking there are just two Zybos, the ones with 7010 and ones with 7020? What does does the Petalinux BSP here (https://github.com/Digilent/Petalinux-Zybo/releases/tag/v2017.4-1) use? Does it matter so long as the provided HDF is correct? Maybe the pre-built image in the BSP is for the 7020?

Thanks

Richard

I have two HDMIs, so I have a Z7-10?

Can you point me to any "pre-built" images are projects I can use to take any of my mistakes out of the equation. In particular, since the QSPI demo works, is there source for that?

Thanks

Richard

@rmd91, did you get past your problem?

After re-reading this and to summarize, you where using the board files for the Zybo on a Zybo-Z7-10 board.

You'll have ot install the correct board file to your Vivado configuration in case it  isn't already.

To make changes on your Vivado project you need to follow the Zybo-Z7 migration guide found on the product site for the Zybo.

Otherwise you can follow the getting started tutorials from the resources for the Zybo-Z7 previously mentioned by jpeyron.

@theUltimateSource At point, I did. I had been using the wrong board file. I guess I should have been tipped off that it was in the "old_board" folder!

I had to put this work off for another task and I'm just coming back to it now. I can't get Linux to boot. I don't see the DONE LED ever light. I tried the pre-built Linux in the appropriate Petalinux BSP, but that doesn't boot either.

A big issue I'm having is building a Petalinux project from the BSP. It looks like it requires external Git repos. Our network setup has had issues with Petalinux and external repos. I figured it should be equivalent to make a Zynq template project and use petalinux-config --get-hw-description=<SDK folder>, which should configure the FSBL properly for the Z7-10 board.

Also, are there binaries for the demo program in the QSPI? I will be erasing the QSPI as part of my tests but would like to restore the demo design as a sanity check.

Thank you

Richard

Hi @rmd91,

I have reached out to more experienced embedded linux engineers about your petalinux issues. I would also suggest looking at the Petalinux Support for Digilent Boards which has a couple of confirmed petalinux projects. I would also suggest looking through the very detailed readme as well. Here are our GitHub projects for the Zybo-Z7-10. We have reached out to our content team about getting the QSPI  OOB demo in the mean time i would suggest using one of the confirmed GitHub projects and make a boot.bin file out of it using the zedboard programming tutorial here.

thank you,

Jon

Hello,

I post some information about the OOB QSPI demo.

We actually don't load the SPI flash using an MCS file, we copy the needed files using Linux manually. Use the linked package to load the QSPI back to default state.
Place these files on a micro SD card and boot the ZYBO with it. After ~4 minutes, the QSPI will have been programmed with the default image (there will be some terminal output indicating what is going on).
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ark7wz4md7s6zod/sdlinux_Zybo.zip?dl=0

Good luck.

Archived