Ise 13.4 Programming With Jtag-hs2

XMaverick

Question

Good morning,

we have just purchased two JTAG-HS2 programmers in Farnell after recommendation in the Digilent forums

and info review in the comparison table:

http://www.digilentinc.com/choosing.cfm

We have installed Adept 2.16.1 System for Windows and Adept 2.2.1 Utilities, and we have included the Digilent plugin in the ISE 13.4 installation:

http://www.digilentinc.com/Products/Detail.cfm?Prod=DIGILENT-PLUGIN 

We are not able to work with this programmer in Chipscope nor Impact. We get similar error messages in both of them:

COMMAND: open_target digilent_plugin frequency=2000000
INFO: Started ChipScope host (localhost:50001)
INFO: Successfully opened connection to server: localhost:50001 (localhost/127.0.0.1)
INFO: Digilent Plugin: found 1 device(s).
INFO: Digilent Plugin: opening device: "JtagHs2", SN:210249939171
INFO: Digilent Plugin: User Name: JtagHs2
INFO: Digilent Plugin: Product Name: Digilent JTAG-HS2
INFO: Digilent Plugin: Serial Number: 210249939171
INFO: Digilent Plugin: Product ID: 30900152
INFO: Digilent Plugin: Firmware Version: 010A
INFO: Digilent Plugin: JTAG Port Number: 0
INFO: Digilent Plugin: JTAG Clock Frequency: 2000000 Hz
ERROR: Failed detecting JTAG device chain
ERROR: Opened digilent_plugin but failed to detect JTAG Chain.

We have tested several frequencies, varying from 500 kHz to 3 MHz, with same results.

Adept software detects correctly all of the devices in the JTAG chain and programs them correctly.

We have also read in the net that the JTAG-HS2 programmer is only supported for ISE 14.3+, while the Digilent website says is 13.2+. We don't want to install newer ISE versions because all of our products are synthesized and placed with ISE 13.4, and it is not possible to change that for this moment.

¿Could you please help us?

If it is not possible to work with JTAG-HS2, we want refunding prior to purchase the HS1 programmer we have used in the past, because we think it is not our fault, because the Digilent website advertise the HS2 as 13.2+ compatible and it is the recommended one in the forums by Digilent.

Best regards,

XMaverick

1 answer to this question

Hello all,

I come here with a solution provided by the Digilent's tech support. It worked for me!! I am using the JTAG-HS2 programmer with ISE 13.x and Windows 7 64-bit.

Tech support reply has been:

Out of the box the HS2 only works with ISE 14.X. However, it can be made to work with ISE 13.X. In order to get it to work with ISE 13.X customers need to download and install the latest version of the Adept Runtime from the Digilent website, as well as the latest version of the Digilent Plug-in For Xilinx Tools. They must then replace the plug-in in the all users location (Windows only) or the plug-in in the ISE 13.X install directory (Linux) with the ISE 13.x plug-in from that package. I believe that the ISE 14.x documentation included in that package describes how to install plug-ins in the all users directory for ISE14. The same procedure can be installed to install plug-ins in the all user's directory for ISE 13.

After reading the Digilent_Plug-in_Xilinx_v14.pdf that comes in the "libCseDigilent_2.5.2-x86-x64-Windows" Digilent driver, I searched for the .cse folder under the C:UsersAll Users folder. You need to make visible the protected windows files in order to found the .cse folder (unmark the Hide protected operating system files under Folder Options in Windows Explorer).

I found this location:

C:UsersAll Users.csent6413.1pluginsDigilentlibCseDigilent

It seems that ISE first looks for a valid Digilent driver in this location, so I copied the nt64 driver to this location and the opened Impact and it worked!! You could also copy the nt driver if you are using the non-64bit ISE/Impact/Chipscope, to the C:UsersAll Users.csent13.1pluginsDigilentlibCseDigilent

Hope it is useful for all of you!!

Best regards!!

Archived