SDSoC Platform Files For Arty Z7

Butch

Question

I just received my Arty Z7 and SDSoC license and found that the default install does not contain platform files for the Arty Z7.  I could not find where to download them.  Are they available?  I saw a few posts about them but they were all quite old.  Any help?  Thanks!

5 answers to this question

Hi Jon,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly.  I am definitely a newbie, just trying to figure out how to get started.  I downloaded the platform files, but they are for version 2016.4 - the current SDSoC version is 2018.3.  I am not sure if that matters.  I tried placing the folder in the "platforms" directory along side the zc702, zcu704, zcu706, and zed folders but when I created a new project the only platforms listed in the platform box were the original 4 platforms(zc702, zcu704, zcu706, zed).  When I try adding a "Custom Platform" from the "Platform" dialog it creates a project for me but lists the platform as zc702(in the SDx Application Project Settings).  Not sure where to go next - any advice?

Thanks,

Butch 

Hi @Butch,

Unfortunately, I haven't had the bandwidth to work with SDSoC yet. I do know that the version matters and that we suggest that you use the supported SDSoC version the Platform was made for.  To use newer versions of SDSoC you will need to look through the Xilinx SDSoC documentation like the SDSoC Environment Tutorial and the SDSoC Development Environment Help  and the Xilinx GitHub for SDSoC.

thank you,

Jon

I tried working my way through the SDSoC Environment Platform Development Guide(UG1146) but Vivado is a daunting task for a newbie. I tried letting Vivado update the SDSoC platform project in Digilents git repo and the SDSoC platform project provided by AdamTaylor(Referenced in Digilents Additional Resources section).  I worked on both for quite a while but could not resolve all of the error messages.  I believe SDSoC version 2017.4 began requiring the creation of a ".dsa" file - the current shipping version is 2018.3.  Has anyone had any luck creating a ".dsa" based platform file for the Arty Z7?

Thanks,

Butch

Hi @Butch,

We a digilent have not had the bandwidth to update our SDSoC projects. I believe your SDSoC license allows you to download older versions of SDSoC. I would suggest to download to and used the version of SDSoC that the project was made for.  It is not typically a trivial process to upgrade SDSoC projects to another version. 

thank you,

Jon

Archived