PModRS232 Use with Zedboard

Robert Blancas

Question

I have a ZedBoard and would like to use one of the PMod interfaces to provide an RS-232 interface to a Windows computer.   I discovered the link https://reference.digilentinc.com/reference/pmod/pmodrs232/start and downloaded a ZIP file for the Reference Design Reference Project.  This ZIP file

included a pdf document and source code (main.c) that describes how to use the PModRS232 on a Digilent Cerebot II to provide an RS-232 interface (see excerpt from

document below).   My question is whether this can be done using a ZedBoard?   In other words, can I connect the PModRS232 to one of the PMod interfaces on the

Zedboard and then attach an RS-232 cable to USB cable to a PC and expect to communicate serially to a program such as TeraTerm?    Does the main.c program apply?  Please note that I'm already using the USB UART interface for serial communication, but need a second serial connection.

EXCERPT FROM PDF DOCUMENT:

This document describes the process of interfacing a Digilent Cerebot II to a personal computer using the PmodRS232.  Additionally any of Digilent’s AVR microcontroller boards, can be connected using the same technique. 

The hardware used in this tutorial: 

• Digilent Cerebot II • Digilent PmodRS232 • Digilent JTAG-USB programming cable • Microsoft Windows computer with serial port • Serial cable. 

1 answer to this question

Archived