Is my Arty Z7-20 malfunctioning?

lowena

Question

I got myself an Arty Z7-20 recently, and I'm a bit worried it's malfunctioning. I'll give a couple examples of what seems to be incorrect behavior.

The first time I try running Digilent's HDMI-in example, I get this output in the terminal:

Untitled.png.a694b70fa6964ba9d9accc0f65b5e2ea.png

and on my TV that is connected to the board's HDMI out, I see the usual rainbow image. When I try re-running the program from the SDK, I get this output:

Untitled2.png.15b9b08a394e96fa9254e02a385c0c7c.png

even though both HDMI ports have cables plugged in. Also, there is no video output to the TV at all, and inputting commands does nothing. No matter how many times I re-run the program, it never works. The out-of-box demo that comes on the Z7-20 does work with HDMI passthrough, however. Additionally, when trying out Digilent's HDMI-out example, I get the same two lines of terminal output on the first run, and re-running it works, though sometimes it'll just stop working after inputting commands.

I have tried this person's HDMI example that was designed for the Arty Z7-10. After programming my board with it, the output is completely garbled. I don't have a way to capture the image, but the bottom half of the screen is all green, and the top half is garbled lines and parts of what looks like text. Not the rainbow that's supposed to show up, as in the video linked on Github. I have also tried fpga4fun's HDMI example and got no output at all. I can't guarantee with these two that there aren't errors in the code causing this, though.

I'm not 100% certain that it's defective, but some evidence points to it. I don't know if the problem I described with Digilent's examples is a known issue, maybe it is.

Anyone have any idea if my board is defective, or am I incorrect?

1 answer to this question

Hi @lowena,

Since the OOB Demo is working every time without issue I would say that your Arty-Z7-20 is not broken. What version of Vivado/SDK are you using with the HDMI IN demo here.  Try programming the FPGA and running the application in sdk before plugging in the HDMI cables. Make sure to not have the HDMI cables connected to the Arty Z7-20 if the board is turned off and the monitors the the HDMI cable are connected to are turn on. You can back power the board and potentially cause issues. 

thank you,

Jon

Archived