[ORIGINAL ZYBO] Using the board in modern workflows

svet-am

Question

I have one of the original ZYBO boards (with the VGA D-SUB) and I'm trying to do a modern design.  It seems like there's not really much effort in terms of supporting this board in modern workflows.  I was unable to get the standard "zybo" Vivado board automation file to work with anything newer than Vivado 2014.4.  Specifically, when I use it Vivado doesn't throw any errors but the ZYNQ part in the IPI block diagram has literally no options applied.  Looking in the debug log this appears to be related to changes Xilinx has made in the PCW configuration options.  My current workaround was to do a design in Vivado 2014.4 and then upgrade it to Vivado 2018.2.

I'm seeing a similar "lost to the sands of time" thing in the U-Boot defconfig.  The original ZYBO uses a Spansion part for the QSPI.  The U-Boot option "CONFIG_SPI_SPANSION" is not turned on by default so attempting to use this flash device within U-Boot will not work.

Question to the Digilent mods is whether or not there is a plan to upgrade these so this older board will work at all?  I've seen the posts directing folks to the ZYBO-Z10 and ZYBO-Z20 but that seems a bit harsh given that there are quite a few of these boards in the wild.

Updating the U-Boot defconfig isn't that hard -- it's literally just a new defconfig for the older board with the appropriate CONFIG_ option specified.  Updating the Vivado board files is a *little* more work but it's more just going through with a find-and-replace.

5 answers to this question

Hi @svet-am,

If it gets properly verified from our content team, then it's a possibility, but our content manager is out of the office until January or so (and will probably have a backlog of stuff to catch up on), so it may be a bit before it gets verified/approved since we (Digilent) like to try to make all of our content consistent with itself for each release cycle. So, I guess the answer is a solid "maybe".

Thanks,
JColvin

@vicentiu I have just published a pull request on the public Digilent GitHub repo.  https://github.com/Digilent/vivado-boards/pull/18

I tested this in Vivado 2018.3 and verified that it works there.  The U-Boot defconfig needs to be updated as well to properly support the flash on the board but this is a start.  I'll be doing a pull request against U-Boot for the other part.

@JColvin  can you please take a look at this and get the pull request merged, please?

Archived