[Zybo Z7] Which Zynq to choose in Vivado

yottabyte

Question

please delete. thx

/edit

my question was about choosing the correct Zynq in Vivado when creating a new project for the Zybo Z7-20 (see attachment). This exact label with -1, -2 or -3 at the end you can't find anywhere. But all you have to do (and what probably anybody does anyway, besides me) is downloading the Digilents board files here, so the Zybo Z7 shows up in the list of boards. I thought this is not worth a thread. But maybe there will be another user who won't just open up another tutorial that gives the information about the board files, you're right.

3 answers to this question

Hi,

most likely it's the slowest speed grade ("C"ommercial). The faster ones are AFAIK only available in "E"xtended (2, 3) or "I"ndustrial (2) temperature range.

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/selection-guides/zynq-7000-product-selection-guide.pdf page 5.

As a rule of thumb, the price penalty is fairly substantial, the performance difference is not. Higher speed grades tend to be rare in mass market boards.

E.g. see page 27 here: https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/data_sheets/ds181_Artix_7_Data_Sheet.pdf "Minimum clock period" -1=2.5 ns; -2=2.26 ns, -3=2.1 ns but there is more to the topic than just this one number.

Of course, a design that is built for -2 or -3 speedgrade would be unreliable on -1 (if the bitstream is even compatible - but I can't recall ever seeing any efuse etc bits that would prevent it in hardware)

HI @yottabyte,

I realize (based on the time stamps) that you figured out the answer to your question before you got a response, but do you mind posting your original question and what you found out so any future users with a similar question would be able to see the answer you (and xc6lx45) found out?

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @JColvin,

my question was about choosing the correct Zynq in Vivado when creating a new project for the Zybo Z7-20 (see attachment). This exact label with -1, -2 or -3 at the end you can't find anywhere. But all you have to do (and what probably anybody does anyway, besides me) is downloading the Digilents board files here, so the Zybo Z7 shows up in the list of boards. I thought this is not worth a thread. But maybe there will be another user who won't just open up another tutorial that gives the information about the board files, you're right.

Thank you @xc6lx45 

zynq_clg400-X.png

Archived