Analog discovery 2 failed, no led, no com with PC

Shawn83

Question

Hello, 

My analog discovery 2 recently stopped working and I was hoping I could get some assistance troubleshooting the issue or to find out if a warranty replacement might be possible.

I've had the device in my possession for under 30 days and recently I have been unable to communicate with the PC and no lights are illuminated on the discovery 2.  I've tried a different usb cables and PC's and even a 5vdc power adaptor but I am unable to get a response from the device.

Can you help me with this issue? I have access to scopes and DMMs if required.

Thanks,

Shawn

6 answers to this question

Hi @Shawn83,

I have a couple of clarification questions to see if we can figure out the source of the issue. As a side note, when you just power the Analog Discovery 2, there is no lights that turn on until it is connected to WaveForms.

• What OS are you using?
    • If you are using Windows, do you see it in the Device Manager? It will be reported under Universal Serial Bus controllers as USB Serial Converter.
  • When you say you get no response from the device, do you mean from your computer or from WaveForms?
  • If you haven't already, I would recommend following the steps listed in the initial post of this thread starting with the "Device not detected by WaveForms" portion

Let me know how this goes.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi Jcolvin,

I have tried the guide your recommended, unfortunately I was still not able to get a response from the AD2. 

Nothing detected in the device manager. I'd also like to add that I was able to get the AD2 to connect when I first got it and the scope and FG were functional. This failure just recently happened.

Thanks,

Shawn

Hi @Shawn83

Under Windows' Device Manager the device should  as "USB Serial Converter".
In case no device shows up, like USB Serial or unknown device, please contact the support.
For warranty and replacement please contact support at digilentinc dot com specifying the Date of Purchase, Seller and Purchase Order/ Web order Number.

PS:
The LED in AD AD2 lights up only after software connection is established.

Hi there,

I had the exact issue described here by @Shawn83: My AD2 died.

After puchasing it, I used it for a while whilst developing a personal project using a DE0 Nano FPGA dev board (1.8 and 3.3v on digital ports) and then I left it unused inside its plastic box for about a year. Today I tried to use it again but it is completely dead:

• I tested in three different machines: A Laptop with Debian (where I use to use it), and two desktops with Windows 7 and 10.
    • I tried with different USB cables, on different USB connectors, including USB hubs, nothing.
  • I also tried using the external 5v input with no results.
  • I updated the latest version of WaveForms but it is unable to detect the device, not even when I try to reprogram the EEPROM.
  • on Debian, I checked commands "ls usb" and "dmesg" and does not show any activity whatsoever.
  • Device Manager on Windows does not show any activity either.
    • This led me think that my AD2 is dead for good.

I contacted the distributor who sold it to me less than two years ago in order to get some tech assistance and the proof of purchase (I lost the copy I had during a house moving) but in the meantime, may I know what is the period of time covered by the warranty for a devolution/repair?

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards

10 hours ago, attila said:

Hi @epow

Try using other micro USB cables.
I have various USB devices (boards, phones) that work with some cables and don't work with cables that are good for other devices...

Hi @attila,

Thanks for your comment. 

I tried with several cables on several ports, but nothing. However, something weird happened: I decided to take it to work and try there (with the same cable that I had on the box) and it just worked at first try.

I'm quite puzzled actually. I think that may be is the USB connector that it is a bit loose so I may try using a hot air gun to fix it if it happens again (I did the same with my phone few months back and as good as new :))

Thanks!!

Archived