Looking for the right microcontroller for me

HelplessGuy

Question

Hello everyone!

I need a recommendation. I am looking for a board that is possible to some some stuff.

Input: serial communication

output: ethernet

requirenment:

- inverse fft for 158 signals with 2^15 values after multiplication  in minimum 0.1s

- programming in c, operation system (linux)

do you have any uC that is doing the stuff I need?

3 answers to this question

Hi @HelplessGuy,

We do not have a micocontroller that would meet all of your metrics. I believe that the WI-FIRE (PIC32MZ2048EFG with a 200 MHz CPU Clock) could potentially be able to meet the  "inverse fft for 158 signals with 2^15 values after multiplication  in minimum 0.1s" metric from a computation stand point. We haven't test this type of metric so we would not be able to guarantee that it would be able to meet your computational needs.. The WI-FIRE does not have Ethernet but rather WIFI. The two microcontrollers that have an on-board Ethernet connection only have a CPU Clock of 80 MHz. They are the Pro MX4 and the Digilent Pro MX7 which I do not believe will be able to meet the projects computation needs. All of the boards can be used with the Arduino IDE and the Digilent Core .

thank you,

Jon

Computational performance might be a serious bottleneck.
On Octave, my desktop needs 20 ms... (I know this can be done faster.. It's just a ballpark number)

>> a = single(rand(32768, 1));
% note: don't time the first attempt
>> tic(); for ix = 1:150 b = fft(a); end; toc();
Elapsed time is 0.0195291 seconds.

A Raspberry PI might work, it's a pretty decent CPU in its class (whatever that is...), possibly as bare-metal design.

My default board is the LPC1768 MBED, very accessible (and very old). Serial (electrical/USB serial) and Ethernet (add magnetics) are straightforward but most likely it falls short in CPU power and memory.

Archived